Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
PM'd you mate! If you want to have a google, Varanus acanthurus (brachyurus at the end if you're after yellows, but the care is the same)...

Oooh Phiphi, I feel all special now you 'bigged me up' :lol2:

: victory:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Yeah a lot of care sheets do seem to be contradictory (sp). Basking surface temps 125-135, ambient hot end about 90 the idea of usng a bank of bulbs rather than one is good and is what is goin in my new set-up. 60% humidity ish, low humidity can cause loss of digits. Deep substrate for them to tunnel in, 12" ish, I'm still working on a decent substrate that will hold tunnels well....

As much room as you can give them, 4x2x2 for a pair/trio seems to be said a lot but personally I think they need more room, 48"x20"x20" for my female is looking a tad to cramped....

They like to climb so lots of climby things....nothing too heavy, all rocks rooted to the floor as they have a tendency to dig under things and no one wants a squooshed ackie.

Ummm.....pretty much the whole diet should be insects, crix, hoppers, roaches and waxies. Pinkies occasionally, like once or twice a month....

Thats how I do it in a nutshell....

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
5x2x2 sounds good, if you're making it yourself, or even if you're not really, a piece of mdf or conti across the front will help hold a deeper layer of substrate in without making your room a mess!

If you search the forum for a thread by rick_albig on heating large enclosures, it shows you a bank of bulbs. It is in a much bigger enclosure but the principle is the same, and it gives a bigger basking area which is what you want if you're having more than one. Also any threads with pics of Razaiels bosc enclosure are good as she also has a bank of bulbs. Its basically a group of lower wattage bulbs rather than one high wattage one...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.