Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I would love to get into the Varanus group. So was looking up stuff and was thinking of getting an ackies. Do have some questions though. Could a 5*2*2.5 (in feet) viv have a trio or should only have one? Also is there any places that have them at affordable prices as the cheapest I have seen was £219 (for ones about half a foot including tail). When talking to some people they said ones that size would be at the very most £90. So is there anywhere in the UK that has them less than about £150. Also was thinking of getting a bosc if I do well with the ackies. A 10*5*5 (in feet) sounds good? I’ll build it or pay someone to build it. I like to have enough space to make a natural environment and allow them to behave naturally. Is 2 feet of substrate good enough for them to make their borrows? Also are there other monitors make good starters? Argus? I heard they are a bit aggressive but as long as it warns me first and can’t kill me instantly then I’m good. Any way would leave a cool scare after:lol2:
Last question is can you get perentie’s? It is my dream lizard and it was watching one hunt a rabbit on dragons alive about 9 years ago that started my love for reptiles. If I can it would be like 15 years in the future or more. Was thinking of a 30*15*6/8 (in feet) greenhouse? I know it would be very expensive but to be honest if I ever get the money to buy a perentie then I would probably have the money for a greenhouse that size. I know this would probably/almost decadently never happen but it’s nice to dream.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Hi all I would love to get into the Varanus group. So was looking up stuff and was thinking of getting an ackies. Do have some questions though. Could a 5*2*2.5 (in feet) viv have a trio or should only have one? Also is there any places that have them at affordable prices as the cheapest I have seen was £219 (for ones about half a foot including tail). When talking to some people they said ones that size would be at the very most £90. So is there anywhere in the UK that has them less than about £150. Also was thinking of getting a bosc if I do well with the ackies. A 10*5*5 (in feet) sounds good? I’ll build it or pay someone to build it. I like to have enough space to make a natural environment and allow them to behave naturally. Is 2 feet of substrate good enough for them to make their borrows? Also are there other monitors make good starters? Argus? I heard they are a bit aggressive but as long as it warns me first and can’t kill me instantly then I’m good. Any way would leave a cool scare after:lol2:
Last question is can you get perentie’s? It is my dream lizard and it was watching one hunt a rabbit on dragons alive about 9 years ago that started my love for reptiles. If I can it would be like 15 years in the future or more. Was thinking of a 30*15*6/8 (in feet) greenhouse? I know it would be very expensive but to be honest if I ever get the money to buy a perentie then I would probably have the money for a greenhouse that size. I know this would probably/almost decadently never happen but it’s nice to dream.
hi mate! glad your thinking through this carefully :)
just to clear things up a little for ya, perentie's havnt entered the pet traid... YET. though it would be sad to see them enter it tbh.
and ackies: 5x2x3 for a trio is a good size :) you want at least a ft of substrate for them!
bosc: the 10x5x5 will be perfect!! again with deep substrate- 18ins-2ft.
savannahmonitor.co has a great caresheet!
argus: a 10x5x5 should be fine, 2ft deep substrate. though a adult male may need a 12x6.
best of luck :D

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I speak through nothing more than experience. ..

getting an ackie was the single most enjoyable thing I have done up to getting a uromastyx.

they are smart critters with loads of character. Can do well as a single or a trio if you wanted to, but not as a duo unless you have 2 females.

I have a 4x3x2 (LxHxD) for my single ackie and he loves it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts