Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey went to my shop today he has some BEAUTIFUL 14month old lecustic leopardgeckos..Would i be able to put them straight in with my other 2? He said his breeder is very trust worthy and only sells him ones that are in good health .I knnow most of ypou will say quarantine is a must but at thisage wouldnt sgns of /illness be showing if parasites or anything was present.

All the animals are captive bred and monitored before being sold to the shop.

If so would the 2 i have get stressed about another female been in
Ofcourse theyd all have seperate hides and there own space.

Advice is appreciated :)

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I would still suggest quarantining.
Get another viv, and the leo, quarantine, put them together and then you have a spare viv for more :)

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cant electric is too much an me mam only wants 1 viv .. there in good health though and there adults so must be healthy?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Hey went to my shop today he has some BEAUTIFUL 14month old lecustic leopardgeckos..Would i be able to put them straight in with my other 2? He said his breeder is very trust worthy and only sells him ones that are in good health .I knnow most of ypou will say quarantine is a must but at thisage wouldnt sgns of /illness be showing if parasites or anything was present.

All the animals are captive bred and monitored before being sold to the shop.

If so would the 2 i have get stressed about another female been in
Ofcourse theyd all have seperate hides and there own space.

Advice is appreciated :)
I personally wouldn't.

Whether or not the shop trusts the breeder is irrelevant.
Whether or not the animals are captive bred is also irrelevant.

What is relevant is the fact that introducing a new animal can introduce something that isn't affecting the new one - but might affect the ones you have already. Like having a cold virus - if you've already HAD the cold, you can still carry the virus AND give it to others without knowing you've got it. And you could also be contagious before you know you've got the cold.

Same goes for animals.

What you need is for YOU to know that the animal is completely healthy - which you can only do if you're monitoring it personally in a cage where you can see that it's eating, pooing and shedding correctly before you ever introduce it to your others.

You ALSO need a spare cage just in case the new one doesn't get along with your two - because I've seen some NASTY female fights. Some girls just don't get along with other ones, and it's always a good idea to have spare housing set up if that happens.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Cant electric is too much an me mam only wants 1 viv .. there in good health though and there adults so must be healthy?
Being an adult doesn't mean it can't carry something that IT is immune to - but yours might not be.

If mum only wants one viv, then I would not introduce ANY more geckos. Hearing one female gecko shriek because another girl is biting her tail and doing her best to rip it off is a horrible way to wake up, and trying to stick gecko skin back down after that sort of a fight is even worse.

And after that, the gecko who was bitten was nasty to all geckos with black spots - female or otherwise - and I couldn't keep her with anything that wasn't albino, patternless or blizzard.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I use contico tubs for my quarantine Reps. They cost £8 for a 30 litre one, which is plenty of room for a Leo.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dont think im gonna bovver then cause i cant get anymore vivs or anything

·
Registered
835 Posts
Why not do as EddieLizard has suggested and just get a tub then? I quarantine all mine in a nice tub with a heat mat attached to a stat and they live quite happily in there for 3 months before I try introducing them.

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
Just to be devils advocate here but if the new leo was carrying something that it was immune to and appeared healthy, would't the others get it after quarentine?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
As already said, it's not just a quarantine issue. Some geckos get along well, others simply do not. You dont want one of your geckos getting hurt or your new one.
You need to introduce new animals gradually after the quarantine period.

Whys your electric too much, how many animals have you got??

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
surely your electric cant be that much? only i looked at your sig and you only have 2 leos, ive got 3 snakes and a beardie, the beardie alone has a 100watt bulb on 12hrs a day, plus my heatmats and stats for the snakeys, and that costs pennies. tell your mum its really not that much electric to run a heatmat and stat.:D

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
surely your electric cant be that much? only i looked at your sig and you only have 2 leos, ive got 3 snakes and a beardie, the beardie alone has a 100watt bulb on 12hrs a day, plus my heatmats and stats for the snakeys, and that costs pennies. tell your mum its really not that much electric to run a heatmat and stat.:D

i second that, and i have even more animals than that!!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Since I've had my reps, I've even had my monthly direct debit's reduced by my energy supplier! Could just be them trying to turn-the-tables and have me owe them for a change instead of me always being in credit!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dunno why tbh we have 2 leos a snake and the computers on all the time haha

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
It could just be mum's way of saying "This is how many pets I want in my house, and that's all you can have right now."

I know my parents did that sort of thing when I was younger. And because it was their house and I wasn't paying my own way yet, I didn't get a vote :)

Of course, now I just have to talk my partner into something new - which is often easier than talking him into doing his laundry!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well its my borthers its 2 years old a cornsnake its in shed atm very nice and about 3 foot long :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Lol at Ssthisto!! :rotfl:

Of course, now I just have to talk my partner into something new - which is often easier than talking him into doing his laundry!

I think you need to talk to your mum Emily, and find out what the real objections are. If you could show her that you've really researched into what you want to get (and WHY), she may come round.

As a mum myself, I was very wary of my son wanting to take on new pets as I wasn't sure whether or not it was just a whim. As it turned out with him, it would have been, and I would have been the one left holding the spider!

Perhaps you could arrange a 'trade' with your mum? ie you take on a regular chore to offset the additional maintenance costs (the ironing or the hoovering is always a good one) - and then of course keep to the bargain!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts