Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi my six year old female boa hasn’t eaten for a few weeks. We realised her temps were too cool and have recently rectified that. Mid 80s one end and a basking spot of about 89 degrees the other. Her heating/lamp is controlled by a dimming thermostat too. It’s taken a while to sort this out but she’s now been at the right temps for a few days but she’s refused again today. She’s otherwise healthy. Any clues please? She shed last week but some patches remain which we’ve taken to misting her and placing her bowl near a heat source so humidity is about 60%

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Is the heat lamp on 24/7? Ideally Ceramics are better so you can maintain the ambient air temps 24/7 yet still provide a decent day / night photo period. I presume she hasn't been paired with a male ? If the temperatures have cooled, and she's off food then there could be an underlying health issue and a check up at the vets would be worth it.

My male boa went off food in November, but has also been actively seeking a female and left a nice huge sperm plug in his water bowl on one occasion. I thought no more of it, everything else was fine, and hadn't changed, and I just put it down to the breeding season. He continued to refuse food and in January I noticed the glass on the front of his viv was looking a little dirty as if some dirty water marks was left . There was no bubbling from his nostrils, or any other signs of an RI but I took him to the vets for a check up, and it was confirmed he had one. So now he's on a course of antibiotics and we take each day as it comes. He's still got a decent weight, still active, but still off food, although he's only had two injections so far so he's still got a fair way to go through the treatment.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the heat lamp on 24/7? Ideally Ceramics are better so you can maintain the ambient air temps 24/7 yet still provide a decent day / night photo period. I presume she hasn't been paired with a male ? If the temperatures have cooled, and she's off food then there could be an underlying health issue and a check up at the vets would be worth it.

My male boa went off food in November, but has also been actively seeking a female and left a nice huge sperm plug in his water bowl on one occasion. I thought no more of it, everything else was fine, and hadn't changed, and I just put it down to the breeding season. He continued to refuse food and in January I noticed the glass on the front of his viv was looking a little dirty as if some dirty water marks was left . There was no bubbling from his nostrils, or any other signs of an RI but I took him to the vets for a check up, and it was confirmed he had one. So now he's on a course of antibiotics and we take each day as it comes. He's still got a decent weight, still active, but still off food, although he's only had two injections so far so he's still got a fair way to go through the treatment.
She’s not been with a male. Her basking lamp isn’t on 24/7 but her heat mat and tubular heater are on so ambient temp is achieved. She is active and comes out to bask each day returns to her cool end hide in evening. May ring vet even though she seems ok. I’m shielding so could be interesting getting her to a vet but somehow I will lol. Thank you for replying. Could she be off food because it’s breeding season soon? X

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Personally I would just have a vet check him out. It would put your mind at rest if he is fine with no signs of any RI etc, as it rules out any medical reason for being off food, and it could be hormonal. If it does turn out to be the onset of an RI then at least you would have managed to get treatment early making recovery quick.

If you mention you are shielding to the vets then they will advise what protocols they have in place for such occurrences. Some vets still allow people to enter their buildings, whilst others collect from the doors at socially distance arrangements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts