Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm a little confused about my Boa.
The last few weeks he's become really really moody. If i try and pick him up he opens his mouth really wide and hisses. He has never struck, but i leave him alone after that coz i don't really want a bite off him, he isn't a baby, he's easily at least 5 foot long!

He used to love being held, if I came into the room he used to come out from his hide and rub up against the glass so i'd pick him up, then he'd just chill on my shoulders for ages, but all of a sudden he doesnt want to know! He doesnt need to shed, he did that last week. He eats fine, tho since he got all hissy i havent tried feeding him (its only been about 10 days since his last feed, he hasn't long since poo'd out the remains of his last meal). I like to handle all my snakes before I feed them, so they associate being held with getting food.

I don't exactly know how old he is, I got him on xmas eve 2010, the guy i got him off didnt seem to know how old he was either. he is about 5 ft long now though.

has anyone experienced this before or have any advice for me?
thanks
Kayleigh x

·
Registered
177 Posts
it is reaching that time of year.:whistling2:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I like to handle all my snakes before I feed them, so they associate being held with getting food??
That may not be the best idea.......handling snakes so they associate handling with food invites feeding response when you need to handle for any other reason......just a thought....
Regards being moody as the previous post says that time of year also just keep handling a little unless he is getting stressed so he understands and you do that you are not a threat and not intimidated......

·
Registered
335 Posts
Too right it is, mine all seem to be in a bad mood this weekend, both royals hissed when I went to get them out to clean and my dwarf boa who is normally as docile as they come is being REALLY viv defensive. They have always been perfectly behaved before. Eating like mad things tonight though! and they reckon women are moody! :lol2:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hey, I'm a little confused about my Boa.
The last few weeks he's become really really moody. If i try and pick him up he opens his mouth really wide and hisses. He has never struck, but i leave him alone after that coz i don't really want a bite off him, he isn't a baby, he's easily at least 5 foot long!

He used to love being held, if I came into the room he used to come out from his hide and rub up against the glass so i'd pick him up, then he'd just chill on my shoulders for ages, but all of a sudden he doesnt want to know! He doesnt need to shed, he did that last week. He eats fine, tho since he got all hissy i havent tried feeding him (its only been about 10 days since his last feed, he hasn't long since poo'd out the remains of his last meal). I like to handle all my snakes before I feed them, so they associate being held with getting food.

I don't exactly know how old he is, I got him on xmas eve 2010, the guy i got him off didnt seem to know how old he was either. he is about 5 ft long now though.

has anyone experienced this before or have any advice for me?
thanks
Kayleigh x
Where did you hear that piece of wisdom?! That's mad

·
Registered
369 Posts
my smaller boa went ballistic at me yesterday when i tried to get her out for a bit, ended up covering her viv.. havent seen a reaction like that since I got her 8 months ago!

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Ahhh well, that explains David's sinister hisses over the last week then!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I think the best thing you can do is stop associating handling with feeding that's not good you will get bitten.

Also don't let the snake intimidate you as it will learn if it acts defensively you will leave it alone your asking for trouble just get some gardening gloves and pick the snake up so it knows your not gonna back off no matter how hissy it is.

Brian

Reactions: KathyM

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I say i handle them before i feed them because i do, not just coz i'm feeding them though.
i have kept snakes for 9 years and never had a problem with that
also, i feed them outside the vivs, i handle them, then put them in a smaller viv for feeding, then put them back. for 9 years i have never ever ever been bitten by any reptile!

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
my male has been hissy lately too...:gasp: he was a puppy when i had him on the first night....now tho, hes hissing when i open his rub....male time of the month maybe???:whistling2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts