Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the people that use them could answer a few questions.Im thinking of using one for my Brb's viv.
What wattage heater would be best for a 4x2x2 viv?
Do they create a decent hot spot and maintain decent ambient temps?
Are they safe to be left running 24/7 or is it best to switch to some other kind of heating at night?
How reliable do you find them build quality wise?They are pretty expensive so id rather not buy one if its going to need replacing.
All info is greatly appreciated : victory:

·
Banned
5,833 Posts
I was wondering if the people that use them could answer a few questions.Im thinking of using one for my Brb's viv.
What wattage heater would be best for a 4x2x2 viv?
Do they create a decent hot spot and maintain decent ambient temps?
Are they safe to be left running 24/7 or is it best to switch to some other kind of heating at night?
How reliable do you find them build quality wise?They are pretty expensive so id rather not buy one if its going to need replacing.
All info is greatly appreciated : victory:
500 watt is best...you could get away with a 250watt but they are the same price so go for the bigger one.
Don't really create a hot spot but the ambient temps are spot on.
I have been running mine 24/7 for the last 6 months or so.
They are under warranty and if it does break down...microclimate are pretty helpful
I find them excellent but not too sure if I would use one in a 4 foot viv.....would prefer to use a ceramic.I use one in a 6x2x3 viv.
In my 4 foot viv,I use a 250watt ceramic which works great and is all you will need....and a stat and guard of course
paul

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input,i appreciate it.I have considered using a ceramic,but i heard they can dry out a viv too quickly.my room isnt always that warm so i need to make sure the heat source i use will keep the entire viv at the correct temps.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help.That actually works out quite nicely,ceramics are waaaayyyyyyyy cheaper and more easily replaced too.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
AHS are a ceramic heater just that they are encased all in one with the thermotat. I use 500watts in all my 4ft vivs and have done 24/7 for the past four years without issue. I'd personally recommend the AHS the outlay might be £90 or so (look in classifieds they come up now and again) but it'd cost you that much to buy ceramic, decent guard and pulse stat.
At the end of the day it's a personal choice but I think you won't go far wrong with AHS. IMHO: victory:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts