Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to keep snakes and since becoming redundant, now have some time and a bit of money to do this. I'm doing a reptile care course and learning about reptile housing, nutrition and all that. Can someone advise me on what snakes would be the easiest/best to get started with? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Corn, rat, milk, king snakes.

Royal python

Rosy boa

Boa constrictor

Carpet python

Research the above, see what you think.

Decide what you think you want
and come back and ask some questions.

Pk

Reactions: coldestblood

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Don't choose a snake because someone suggests it, choose one because you like it. As long as you do your research, almost any snake will be fine.

Think of what you want from a snake - small, large, fat, thin, arboreal, terrestrial, colour, ect, and go from there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We are still quite new to reptile keeping but have so far had a royal python, corn, king, and we now have just got two common boas. I personally love ALL snakes and I very much go for what I like the look of visually. If we had the space and more time we would have so many they would take over the house.

Obviously some snakes are easier to care for than others but as you are training and learning all you can you will no doubt have more choice than someone like me who hasn't really researched much but has learnt as I am going.

Just check out some pictures on the forum of other people snakes and see if anything catches your eye, which it will many times over, lol :)

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I would say answer the questions below and you will get much better suggestions, plus it will help focus your mind on what you want!

Ask yourself:

1) How large a vivarium can you provide?
2) When would you like the snake to be active?
3)Do you want something that can be handled or are you ok with something a bit feistier?
4) When out, do you want something that will sit on you lap and not move or something that will be more active?
5) How comfortable are you with providing controlled environments?

Plus the things coldestblood mentioned!

Once we know all that the recommendations you get will be much better.

·
Registered
13,020 Posts
We are still quite new to reptile keeping but have so far had a royal python, corn, king, and we now have just got two common boas. I personally love ALL snakes and I very much go for what I like the look of visually. If we had the space and more time we would have so many they would take over the house.

Obviously some snakes are easier to care for than others but as you are training and learning all you can you will no doubt have more choice than someone like me who hasn't really researched much but has learnt as I am going.

Just check out some pictures on the forum of other people snakes and see if anything catches your eye, which it will many times over, lol :)
I'd suggest a similar thing .

I'd google snake images and see which ones stand out for you and then research them all , in depth as already suggested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great advice thanks everyone. Through my herpetology course, I'm learning about the habitats of quite a few different species. I'm only on module 3 so far but am loving it and can't wait to get started with my own snakes.

I can provide several large vivariums and would like to have snakes that like being handled.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Great advice thanks everyone. Through my herpetology course, I'm learning about the habitats of quite a few different species. I'm only on module 3 so far but am loving it and can't wait to get started with my own snakes.

I can provide several large vivariums and would like to have snakes that like being handled.

You're lucky. I wish I had that much space :lol2: Get yourself a nice retic or two if you have the space!

·
Registered
6,059 Posts

You really need to define 'large'.

Large to the average Joe is about a 4'x2'.

Large to snake keeper is probably a 8'x3'.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
If you've got the space and want a snake that is very comfortable with being handled, I'd recommend a burm or boa. These were my first two types of snake - and they're both lovely to keep. The burm will climb onto me, if I sit next to his viv with the door open. All I have to do is stand up (easier said than done - he's already a fair old lump, despite being nowhere near fully grown).

For slightly smaller species - there are hundreds of types of ratsnake. Most are easy to look after and there is a general temperament to suit everyone!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
If you've got the space and want a snake that is very comfortable with being handled, I'd recommend a burm or boa. These were my first two types of snake - and they're both lovely to keep. The burm will climb onto me, if I sit next to his viv with the door open. All I have to do is stand up (easier said than done - he's already a fair old lump, despite being nowhere near fully grown).

For slightly smaller species - there are hundreds of types of ratsnake. Most are easy to look after and there is a general temperament to suit everyone!
And if you are going to go for colubrids of course get corn snakes. If you've got loads of space you could have HUNDREDS :jump:

I need a bigger house. :2thumb:

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
And if you are going to go for colubrids of course get corn snakes. If you've got loads of space you could have HUNDREDS :jump:

I need a bigger house. :2thumb:

That's what I said - there are loads of types of ratsnakes to suit anyone - including corn snakes. :whistling2:

Reactions: Chance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The course I'm doing suggests that the size of the enclosure for a snake shoudl be a minimum of the length of the snake. The boa and the burm sound lovely!

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
The course I'm doing suggests that the size of the enclosure for a snake shoudl be a minimum of the length of the snake. The boa and the burm sound lovely!
It's a good idea to provide as much space as possible for many snakes, but you don't need that amount of space. That would mean a 15ft+ viv for burms, just to be on the safe side. The advice I've followed is a minimum of 1 square foot of space for each foot of snake, but increasing this a bit for girthy snakes. So a 3x2 would be the min for a slender 6ft snake (like a large corn). For a 6ft boa, I would say a minimum would be a 4x2. You also need to consider height requirements more strongly for some species.

The viv I have built for my burm is 2.2 x 1.1 x 1.1 m, which gives about 25.5 sqaure feet of floor area. I've also placed a large, sturdy coffee (type) table in the viv, which increases the floor area, gives a basking spot and also a "hide" area underneath.

Burms are, indeed, lovely!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Also i would say that there isn't really a specific type of snake which prefer handling more than others unless you get into hots or the really quick buggars :L If you're going big i too would suggest boa/burm, but really any snake you fall in love with will be perfect. I have a Taiwan Beauty which aren't particularly known to be friendly but she's a perfect lady when handled with confidence and i think that's the main thing you need :) Sounds like you'll do great with the amount of research you're putting in!

Also if it isn't too personal could i ask how/where you're doing herpetology? I can't say i've came across a course like that, it would be my dream education! (All the course where i live are about sheep and dogs) :lol2:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've only just venued in to keeping snake at Xmas. I got a corn first which I am still very happy with but recently got an Irian jaya carpet python and believe me they are so much fun to handle and very inquisitive to me carpets are the best looking snake there is but hey that's my opinion lol

·
Registered
202 Posts
The ultimate lap-snake is a blood python. No competition. They may not be the most active of snakes to handle but you can watch TV with them and trust them not to whizz off.

They also make adorable huffing noises when they're not best amused :lol2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts