Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening folks, just a quick heads up to say hello to all!
up I am a newbie on this forum and I am after a bit of advice.
I am in the proccess of putting a new VIV together for a juvenile beardie, the VIV is 36"x 24"x 18", now for the advice bit, I am unsure of what wattage ceramic heater to use to heat this VIV, I am looking at some on EBAY and the choices are 60w / 100w / 150w / 250w
I am just about to get back into reptiles after quite a few years absence, but I am only familiar with heat-mats and not ceramics...............
HELP?????.................

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i would use a 100 watt reflector bulb with a dimmerstat, beardies associate light with heat and would not necceserally(sp) "see" the hot spot with no light.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I wouldnt risk anything above a 100w ceramic in that size viv. The last thing you want is your thermostat to pack up and melt your lizards. at least with 100w or lower you would hopefully realise something was up with the heat being too high before any lasting damage was caused.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
if its for ambient heat, i would go for the reptile radiator, as i think they are alot safer, because the beardie will not get anywhere near it! but try not to use a heat mat for ambient, as beardies need heat from above, rather than belly heat! :D

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hiya.
for the size viv u mentioned I would go for a 100watt reflector bulb and a roughly 2 foot heat mat.

Option A- Plug both up to a dimmer stat.

Option B- Plug mat in at all times and plug the bulb up to a normal or dimmer stat and set the sensor 8 inches away from the furthest cool end [about 2 inches above ground level] wall where a nice cool hide will then be [right at the end after the sensor] setting the stat and about 88 degrees, this will keep the bulb on most of the time and only go off if the cool end goes above 88 and then inside the cave ur safe still cos thatll be a few degrees cooler yet.

Option C, if you find B works for the most part but an occasional switch off or dimm due to the occasional time when the temp goes to set limit you CAN probably then safely remove the bulb from the stat altogeyther and have it always on and then just have the mat on the stat or even take it off altogether just plugging it in to the stat at night time to keep the 70 degree night temp up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts