Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a yearling albino kahl boa, I got her 3 weeks ago and she has been great, she feeds well on smalls every 7 days and she handles well and still strikes her food but its been 3 weeks and she hasn't pooed yet and she had a really bad shed and there is evidence of a previously failed shed right on the tip of her tail so when she shed last week I took care to help her remove the dead skin but I fear the damage was already done by her previous owner.

So I have questions,

1. How long should I wait for her to poo before I should start worrying and,
2. How do I help her shed better and heal her tip of her tail before it dies and scars and how will this scar effect her growth?.

Here is some extra info that might help.

She is on a bed of aspen substrate over her heat pad and beech chips everywhere else. She lives in an exo terra viv that's appropriate to her size but will need to upgrade in the next few months her vivs temp is perfect according to the care sheet however she does not yet have a big enough water dish to submerge herself. She eats ever 7 days, strikes and constricts her food and the only place she doesn't shed well is the tip of her tail. I've only had her 3 weeks so that's all the info I have on her.

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
Hi there, I have a yearling albino kahl boa, I got her 3 weeks ago and she has been great, she feeds well on smalls every 7 days and she handles well and still strikes her food but its been 3 weeks and she hasn't pooed yet and she had a really bad shed and there is evidence of a previously failed shed right on the tip of her tail so when she shed last week I took care to help her remove the dead skin but I fear the damage was already done by her previous owner.

So I have questions,

1. How long should I wait for her to poo before I should start worrying and,
2. How do I help her shed better and heal her tip of her tail before it dies and scars and how will this scar effect her growth?.

Here is some extra info that might help.

She is on a bed of aspen substrate over her heat pad and beech chips everywhere else. She lives in an exo terra viv that's appropriate to her size but will need to upgrade in the next few months her vivs temp is perfect according to the care sheet however she does not yet have a big enough water dish to submerge herself. She eats ever 7 days, strikes and constricts her food and the only place she doesn't shed well is the tip of her tail. I've only had her 3 weeks so that's all the info I have on her.

Get yourself a bigger water bowl in there, not just so she can submerge herself (not all of them do this) but just to raise humidity so she can shed properly next time. What are your hot end temps? : victory:

·
Registered
781 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much if she is eating well, give her a warm bath to help with stuck shed and this will also help if she is constipated.
Don't worry about having a big enough bowl for her to submerge in, my big boas have cat litter trays and can't get in them.
Regards David

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
Oh yes sorry...only answered one question oops :gasp:

boas dont poop very often, most of my lot only do it once a month or even longer sometimes so dont worry and it she does look like she needs to go i.e. big bulge near tail....then give her a soak in a nice luke warm tub/bath for 20/30 mins....she will soon have it out, as a warm bath will help her do her buisness :2thumb:

Reactions: Uromastyxman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys ill make sure to increase the humidity in her viv and give her a soak in the morning. Her temps are around 27 to 30 degrees max.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
boas can go weeks and weeks without going, they are really efficient at digesting. If your boa was suffering from a blockage/impaction you would feel a very hard lump (block of concrete) towards the rear of your boa. If feeding well don't worry.

up your hot spot a little and am sure all will be fine

·
Premium Member
16,502 Posts
I hate exos for boas I think they are crap.

let her climb the stairs - activity is the best way to get the pooh on the move - along with increased humidity etc

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
Yep, id upgrade from an exo as soon as you can, only good for some lizards and frogs in my opinion a sthey dont retain heat very well at all.
your hot end temps need to be about 30-32c, if its dropping down to 27 too often for too long then she will be taking a lot longer to digest and this may lead to regurge if you handle too soon after or if it gets too chilly for her : victory:

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys ill make sure to increase the humidity in her viv and give her a soak in the morning. Her temps are around 27 to 30 degrees max.
Is this the hot spot temp or your ambiant?
The hot spot should be between 31 and 33.

And a damp facecloth helps remove stuck shed, soak the tail for a bit then it should gently rub off with the cloth.

Boas only poop every so many feeds, most of mine are regualar every 6 weeks so no need to panic unless she's not pooped for about 3 months.

·
Registered
523 Posts
best way to check if everything is ok is when she is moving through your fingers feel for hard lumps near the vent, if you find any, warm bath and up humidity, a few days later she should be ok and have left you a nice parcel in her viv. other than that there is nothing to worry about they can go for a while before leaving a deposit, besides when she does go i fully expect a post titled, "WMD found" or "OMG the gates of hell have opened" or my favourite "My little boa has EXORCISED the DEMONS (Said in a naff deep south american accent)"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
best way to check if everything is ok is when she is moving through your fingers feel for hard lumps near the vent, if you find any, warm bath and up humidity, a few days later she should be ok and have left you a nice parcel in her viv. other than that there is nothing to worry about they can go for a while before leaving a deposit, besides when she does go i fully expect a post titled, "WMD found" or "OMG the gates of hell have opened" or my favourite "My little boa has EXORCISED the DEMONS (Said in a naff deep south american accent)"

WMD found
OMG the gates of hell have opened
My little boa has EXORCISED the DEMONS
All said in a naff deep south american and south african accent.
The warm bath helped a lot and it also removed the failed shed, do you guys have any tips on increasing the temp by a few degrees in her crap exo? I've got to wait till next month for my wife to buy the new viv, I'll make her check back here whilst I'm away on tour.

·
Registered
523 Posts
i coated mine in coconut husk, i got it in a sheet from a garden centre, silicone the glass cut the husk to size and stick to silicone, keeps the heat in, also i put 2 exo terra lids on as again this keeps the heat in, i now have ambient at 86oC with the heat mat and a hot spot under the light at 90oc Jobs a good en.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts