Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone, we have definitely been bitten by the bug ! We love our bd's, tree frogs and leopard gecko, but yesterday I had an encounter with a baby royal python and just had to add her/him to our collection. The shop said to keep 'Myrtle' in a small enclosure until she grows (she is about 12 -14") if we put her in too big a viv she will be scared ????? and maybe aggressive. We have read that she really needs things to climb up and a tall viv - but does she need this now or later. Shop said she is probably a couple of weeks old, does this sound right for length ? She is so gorgeous dont know why haven't had one before, loves being handled, very active and inquisitive. Have got her in a container we bought with her (20" x 10" approx) aspin for bedding and water bowl, heat mat one end. She looked bored and wanted something to hide in so I gave her a pair of Joe's boxers !! Seems to be loving those. Any advice re housing and at what age/size would be great, just want to do the best for her as she is going to be a spoilt snake she's so gorgeous.

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
have a read of this;
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snake-care/859-royal-python-care.html

personally id keep it on kitchen roll as its so young as i find that easy to clean etc, also try and put lots of hides in there as yes ryals can get stressed and possibly not eat if they're in a large enclosure. the smaller and filled out the better! my hatchling has 6 hides a waterbowl and a fake plant in his tub and its only 15" long by 5" high by 10" wide. When I got him he was living in a sandwich tub! Hope this helps, theres prob loads of things ive forgotten but i need to rush out now!

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
Also.....you need to find out whether it has eaten as it does sound like a few weeks old and probably hasnt fed and sometimes hatchlings can be a bit fussy, especially if they're captive farmed. Best to give the shop a ring and ask them;
when its hacth date was
if it is captive bred or captive farmed (you'll see these referred to on here as CB or CF)
and if it has eaten/shed its skin and when it was and what it fed on.

That will give us a better idea and there are lots of advice sheets on the net about feeding; sometimes hatchlings will strike feed, some will take it when its left in the tub overnight and some will have to be assist fed or force fed. hatchlings need to feed around every 5 days or so

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, we were told it was fed last week and happily feeds on pinkies, told us to feed it once a week.:2thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts