Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now Marmite has always been savage at feeding time (what king isnt?) but the rest of the time, she was a gentle, docile lady.

Recently she has become savage 24/7 and handling means this....

:flrt: friendly much :lol2:

I have taken to keeping one of my hedgehog pouches spare to get her out with and using one pouched hand, one uncovered hand to handle her. But everytime she gets me! Constricts and tries to nom me. Now I love her (I dont want to get rid or anything!) but is there any reason for this sudden aggression? Is it the season? I have been keeping spiny mice and multimmamate mice in the same room for ages, but they have been breeding recently and could this do it?

Or Ill just have to keep handling with one gloved hand :p

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
? You have a pouch made of hedgehogs ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol sorry a sleeping pouch for hedgehogs. She isnt hungry as sh does it all the time regardless of when she has had a feed. She used to just do it the day before and on feeding day

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
lol sorry a sleeping pouch for hedgehogs. She isnt hungry as sh does it all the time regardless of when she has had a feed. She used to just do it the day before and on feeding day
yes thats what im getting at, are you sure her meals are big enough??

sounds like shes not getting fed up when you are feeding her, if u know what i mean. I dont know anything about the species so i cant advise much further tbh. Id hazard a guess she should have a bit of a bulge once you've fed her, and the prey should be around the same diameter as her at her widest part. Confirm that with someone else though - im just guessing

·
Registered
209 Posts
kings

I posted similar on another thread, but this is very common behaviour for all the subspecies of the common king ( all forms of lampropeltis getula)
Once they get some size and confidence to them everything is fair game lol!
if you go on snakebytes tv ,there's a great clip of a brooks king biting someone on the nose!
If you want a well behaved king, go for pyro's, ruthveni, alterna's or any of the mexicana group, these all tend to be more docile than corns.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts

Thankyou :flrt:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Advice? Get used to getting bitten or invest in some hocks. ;)

My MBK switched from a very peaceful and relaxed individual, to the psycho MBK that she is today, if she scents flesh she'll bite and hold anything that moves.

Unfortunately, as stated above, this just seems to be the thing that MBKs do. If anyone ever found a way to calm them down, I'd love to hear it.
:flrt:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yes thats what im getting at, are you sure her meals are big enough??

sounds like shes not getting fed up when you are feeding her, if u know what i mean. I dont know anything about the species so i cant advise much further tbh. Id hazard a guess she should have a bit of a bulge once you've fed her, and the prey should be around the same diameter as her at her widest part. Confirm that with someone else though - im just guessing
Unfortunately, although sound advice for other species, this certainly doesn't work with MBKs. Mine can be freshly fed, with a nice large bulge, and still actively strike at fingers, plastic, and substrate.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Unfortunately, although sound advice for other species, this certainly doesn't work with MBKs. Mine can be freshly fed, with a nice large bulge, and still actively strike at fingers, plastic, and substrate.
Yeah, but that's just their feeding frenzy. Once 'fed-up' they should chill out and relax and digest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.