Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are hoping to get an Iguana shortly. I have cared for an Iguana at college in the past as part of my care of exotics diploma and had experience caring for my cousins when she was away. Ive read up alot about over the years and understand there extensive needs.
Ive checked that we have a good herp vet local too.
What I would like to know is..

How much do you spend on food for your Iguana weekly?

We would plan to have him as a part roamer, meaning he would be in his enclosure in the day and then free to roam in the afternoon through to when we go to bed so he is supervised at all times.

What size enclosure did you use for your Iguana from birth up to full size adult, did you change vivs as they grew or have the same viv from the start?
Do you take them for regualer checks at the vets? and how much a year do you spend on this?

I hear male Iguanas are not keen on woman, have you found this to be true?

We would like to get our Iguana from a baby, I wouldnt mind a rescue but have noticed many rescue homes dont adopt Iguanas.

The price in our local rep shop for a baby green Iguana is 28.00, does this sound about right?

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions
H

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
i havant myself ever kept an iggy but i was told a true story about a male iggy who tried to "mate" with a female women when it was her time of the month it resulted in her having alot of stitches on her neck. i dont no if thats with all male iggys or just that one
sorry i cant help anymore
manda xx

·
Banned
6,045 Posts

Difficult to say as we have a fair few omnivorous and veggie animals here but probably in the region of £10 - £12 a week, sometimes less sometimes more

We would plan to have him as a part roamer, meaning he would be in his enclosure in the day and then free to roam in the afternoon through to when we go to bed so he is supervised at all times.

What size enclosure did you use for your Iguana from birth up to full size adult, did you change vivs as they grew or have the same viv from the start?

Only had adult rescues so can't answer the first part but used to keep Gibbers (my first iguana) in a 7ft x 6ft x 4ft viv. Friends who have smaller iguanas have changed their vivs as their iguana has grown.

Do you take them for regualer checks at the vets? and how much a year do you spend on this?

Per Iguana? A couple of hundred I reckon, fecals, x-rays, general health check up.

Depends on the iguana in question, some get more funny than others around breeding time and around the womans menstrual cycle.

We would like to get our Iguana from a baby, I wouldnt mind a rescue but have noticed many rescue homes dont adopt Iguanas.

The price in our local rep shop for a baby green Iguana is 28.00, does this sound about right?

Loads and loads of iguanas looking for homes all over the place, try the ARK rehoming website for one.

H

My pleasure

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
probably about a fiver a week. all his food comes from asda/tescos

he started off in approx 3' wide x 1.5' deep x 4' tall (can't remember exactly, but Blazey's got it now :)), now he has 6'6" wide x 4' deep x 8' high - see http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13327 for pics

he's not been to the vet

i hear its during womens time of the month, but clydes only just coming into maturity so time will tell on that one

as fixx mentions, the ark usually has loads of iggys for rehoming - http://www.arkreptilegroup.com/

that sounds dirt cheap for a shop iggy. usual prices (that i have seen!) range from £45 upwards

H

good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help.
We discussed last night and decided it was a sensible idea to wait untill we move house as we are planning on moving in the next 2 years and dont fancy taking apart sopmthing thats going to take us weeks/months to build (viv).
Thanks again for taking the time to answar my questions
Hx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts