Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Partner recently bought me a baby corn snake, he's the one labeled snow not sure of the technical term..

we got him as a bargain, he was £65 for the snake his entire setup which includes,
18x11.5x6 inch Wooden Terrarium
aspen substrate,
water bowl
decorative plant,
coconut hide
heatmat with mat stat
thermometer
feeding tweezers
feeding tub
this weeks food.

We were told he was so cheap because he was her Ex's and he had said he no longer wanted the snake and so she decided to sell it as she wasn't keen on them..
she told me that they had had him since he was a hatcling in January and he boyfriend used to handle him alot, but she didn't handle him at all..
he's about 17" long and about 1cm diameter at his thickest part he may be a few millimeters bigger i haven't been able to measure properly.
she said he's on 2 frozen fuzzies per week.. which i'm still not 100% sure if that's too much or not..
he seems to be very skittish, he snapped at me a couple of times when he first met me and ran away and hid under the aspen so i left him alone.. he's go to a point he will have a sniff without snapping but he still runs away this morning i was able to touch him before he hid..
i don't want to stress him out but i would like him to get used to me being around to clean him and hopefully handle him as he gets bigger..
i don't know for sure it's a he until it's a little bigger and i get him probed but i'm using that as a reference for now..
any advice on how to get him used to me.. and maybe eventually get him able to be handled??

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Just get stuck in. A bite from a baby corn probably wont even draw blood. If you're nervouse use gloves to get him out, they usually settle down once they've been picked up. Once you've done this a few times it should realise you are not a threat and stop being defensive

Reactions: Llamekuf

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
Lift the hide and go lift him, keep your movements slow and steady so as not to give him a fright and just keep the handling to regular times, I have a young male house snake who's quite feisty and will strike out at thin air if he startles himself but mostly he tags me & I've had a fair few bites from him since I got him but it's barely enough to drop a drop or two of blood, it's a love hate relationship with this little guy, he hates me and I love him to bits, would never part with him.

My advice, patience and just persevere. : victory:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just let the baby settle in for a week or two then start to handle him, as you don't want to stress it out.
I have aloud him to setting for a bit.. just popped in from time to time to clean up after him :)

Mikevaliance and Ailsa M: I took your advice and went in to get him he shook his tail at me but didn't strike. once i had him out he was very relaxed.. Alot more relaxed than i expected him to be and also quite inquisitive too he hopped from my hand and sniffed my partner and moved over to her then back to me without any issues.. he actually wouldn't go back in he kept trying to climb back out..

so thanks for your advice it worked a charm i was worried at first cos i wasn't wanting to cause him stress..

here's a couple of pics of him :2thumb:

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
I have aloud him to setting for a bit.. just popped in from time to time to clean up after him :)

Mikevaliance and Ailsa M: I took your advice and went in to get him he shook his tail at me but didn't strike. once i had him out he was very relaxed.. Alot more relaxed than i expected him to be and also quite inquisitive too he hopped from my hand and sniffed my partner and moved over to her then back to me without any issues.. he actually wouldn't go back in he kept trying to climb back out..

so thanks for your advice it worked a charm i was worried at first cos i wasn't wanting to cause him stress..

here's a couple of pics of him :2thumb:

Aww he's a little sweetie :mf_dribble:
Keep up the handling and I'm sure he'll tolerate handling quite nicely, mine is very nosey, inquisitive, curious about her surroundings when out and is quite often determind to investigate everything lol.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Unless a particular snake gets really stressed, it's often more harmful than good to back off if they get defensive. They will then do this every time.

I don't handle my Tokays or my Yellow Anaconda much, although I know I can if I need to. They get so stressed out that it's just not worth it. The poor little sods have their hearts racing and breathe really heavily through the stress. I've worked out ways of doing most things without bothering them much.

My burm, on the other hand, will climb out onto me, if I sit outside his viv. Whoever says that snakes just tolerate coming out and that they don't enjoy it can try to explain that!

Reactions: Paul F

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Sounds like you're doing great with him! If he's that good already without having been handled, he's likely a very sweet-tempered snake by nature. I'd advise short handling sessions (5-15 minutes) once or twice a day, except of course after feeding and maybe when he's in deep blue.

2 fuzzies a week is maybe a little on the heavy side for a snake that size, but maybe also not. If he's eating and digesting them happily, then he's probably fine. They have very fast metabolisms at that age, so you don't need to worry about the snake getting fat (a more serious health hazard for them than for us) - you'll just gradually cut back the rate as the snake matures and his prey size increases. Also, don't be frightened when someone tries to define that rate as "power feeding"...if the snake is eating naturally and comfortably, it's not power feeding, in my opinion (that would be when the snake is forced or at least very strongly encouraged/tricked to eat more food than it would normally do).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.