Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 8 year old daughters wants a lizard and i don't have a clue what to get her
i would like to get her some thing that is easy to look after something that i dont have to worry about to much and something she can handle

she has a a viv and it measures 3ft long 18 inches deep and 20 inches high so i would like a lizard that would be ok in a viv that size ,as i don't have room for a viv any bigger as i have treeboas in large viv coming soon

i would like a lizard for where i dont have to worry about uv lighting to much any advice given would be appreciated , mick

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
you could get a leo or two, these are nocturnal though :)

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
8 is quite young, but, when i was 9 i got my first gecko :)

a leopard gecko
my 8 year old daughters wants a lizard and i don't have a clue what to get her
i would like to get her some thing that is easy to look after something that i dont have to worry about to much and something she can handle

she has a a viv and it measures 3ft long 18 inches deep and 20 inches high so i would like a lizard that would be ok in a viv that size ,as i don't have room for a viv any bigger as i have treeboas in large viv coming soon

i would like a lizard for where i dont have to worry about uv lighting to much any advice given would be appreciated , mick

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
I think it sounds like a leopard gecko would be ideal for you - that size would not be too big for one, but could easily house 2 if wanted, they are usually pretty handleable, and don't need UV :)

I can recommend some very in depth information from the gecko spot, here .. The Gecko Spot---Care Index

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
i would say a gecko as these are excellent starter reptiles easy to look after dont need a big viv and you can tame them eventually i have recently got a snow gecko and i still cant handle her yet but i will do.

but they id say are the cheapest to keep and least maintanence.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
A leopard gecko most probably is defo the best bet for your specifications.
They are fab lizards.

·
Registered
950 Posts
leopard geckos are great for kids.
a beardie would have been good if she was older, but you can sometimes get scratches and slight cuts from thier claws and skin if not carful, plus i have a younger brother and sister and they cant always handle my beardies cos they are too strong and over power them

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have just been speaking to my daughter and she would like to know how long they can live for and how big do you they get

sorry for so many question i don't usaly bother with lizards as snakes are my fave and have been keeping them for a long time

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
they can get to 8-10 inches from nose to tip of tale and can live for 10+years :)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
10 plus...up to 20-25 possibly so i am lead to believe.

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
Leos are great and no way is 8 to young for one at all as long as she is taught to handle correctly she will be fine we have leos and our girls love them (8 and 5)
they handle well with supervision and are great in terms of not taking a lot of space or attention.
The only one thing that you lil one needs to understand is not to grab the tail when she is picking the leo up
Id advise a tame juvi as hatchlings are really fast lol

she will also be able to get them in assorted colours etc and although they are nocturnal she could put in a red light so they can be watched with out being disturbed
the only down side would be her feeding them as crickets can be a pain for little hands.
They can live for quite a while 10 yrs up

Just one question
The viv is it all glass or a wodden one?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the viv is a wooden one i only use wooden vivs as they hold the heat better and it is easier to attach any kind of heating to the inside unlike a glass tank

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my daughter will be ok handling the lizard as she has handled all my snakes from an early age (she was supervised of course)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i will let you all know how i get on as im going to see if my local reptile shop will exchange a cali king for 2 leopards even if i have put some towards them i don't mind

·
Registered
164 Posts
my girls are 4 and 7 they have a leopard gecko each....very good pets, and we have a family rankins dragon who loves to be petted by them, so either of these are good candidates

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
i'd say a rankins dragon or a desert iggy.

With her being 8 a leo could be hit and miss as mine aren't amazingly active till late night and an 8 year old could be in bed. Although not all leos are the same.
Rankins or desert iggy's would be out more during the day when she's up and about. When it comes to the school holidays she won't be able to play with her leo's as she's off school and they're in bed.

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
my daughter will be ok handling the lizard as she has handled all my snakes from an early age (she was supervised of course)
snap ours are the same they handle the royals and got them used to a baby corn as they obv cant be grabed as much as a royal can got them used to how fast animals can move and how much pressure to hold them with

I honestly think a Leo would be great for you lil one our girls find them really amusing to watch.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I don't think it's ever to young to have pets. Maybe Im just biest, coz i wanted all the animals. Still not had a dog yet! Pffft.

Anyway, I would Say A Leopard Gecko Or A Rankins Dragon (Smaller Then A Beardie) They could Both live in the 3ft for life. And with the leopard gecko, You could get a couple of a trio (no more then one male per cage mind)

Best Of Luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts