Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a Veiled Chameleon ( 4 week old male) and would like some advice if possible on a few things that I am unsure of because every book or website I read seems to give different answers.........

How much should they eat at this age? He is currently eating 1 or 2 wax worms and between 3 to 5 medium sized crickets a day? Is this too much or too little?

Two different shop assistants have told me that if I used a Exo-terra sun glo 75 w bulb, he would not need a uv light because this does both basking and uv! He seems very lively and basks fow 10-20 mins a day under it but I am worried he still needs additional UV? Any suggestions?

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me :)
Many Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have a veiled chameleon and I tend to let him eat as much as he wants or can because he stops when he is full. I could be wrong but I dont think they usually get over weight from over eating. So, what you are feeding them sounds pretty good to me but let him/her decide when enouph is enouph. I also like to dust my crickets etc before feeding. Like andyb5 said it is vital that you get a UVB flourescent bulb for your cham. if you want him/her to live. Good luck and I would love to see some pics.

Tort

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ok he does need the full uv spectrum so you do need an extra bulb. and for the eating. Let him eat as much as he wants. They tend to never overeat. Get him out of the terrarium and feed him in a faunabox or other plastic container. Place the crickets in there, dust them and let him eat as much as he wants for about an half an hour to and hour. Put a few small twiks in there with him so he is of the ground. And the next day you can give him waxworms the same way, only they tend to be more fattening. Try fruitflys and the flys with the kurldwings as well they love them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your advice, i'll go and get one today. Thought it should have two seperate. Worrying that even the people who sell them don't know. Pics to come :)
I have heard varying stories about meal worms!!! does anyone know if these are okay for chams?

Jimmy

1 baby Veiled Chameleon - Vernon :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Mealworms are good and will not cause problams. I would suggest not feeding as a main diet as dusted crickets are much healthier for them.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've been breeding Yemen's for over three years now, have had near to 200 babies..
I agree with everyone, I have never experienced any over-feeding. I tend to put in more crickets (and hoppers, don't forget them, they love them) in than they can eat in one go and leave them for the day but take any left out at night as they can bite the cham.
As for UV, take it from my experience, I forgot to change the bulb at the beginning ( didn't know you had to change at least once a year!) and had problems with tail-rotting which stopped when I replaced the bulb!
Good luck!
Luke

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you again for your advice. I have bought an Arcadia D3 compact uvb (7%) light that was recommended to me. I hope this is okay for him, he seems happy enough :) Does anyone else use these?

When i have worked out how to post a picture, i will :)

Will buy Venon some hoppers and mealworms tomorrow.

[/url]

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
u know, champs uv needs replacing soon and i might just get one of those for him. We had one before but my mum broke it by being silly. we'd only just got it aswell :twisted:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I take it that this bulb is okay for him then Blazey? I was told it gives off the equiv to 8 uv strip lights!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
yes those bulbs are fine. Just dont do what I did and hold the glass part of the bulb when your screwing it in or it will crack off if you turn it until its very tightly in.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, will not hold the glass part!!! Thx for the advice.

Ahh bless he's just shedding his skin, looks pretty irritated tho!!!

and they pet shop have put one noisy cricket in with the silent browns, they all look the same arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks forall the advice, Venon is now alot more lively in only 1 day and he tucked into a mealworm for the first time today. bless.

How do people feel about holding chams? when i put my hand in to the viv to water the plants or treat him to a wax worm, he climbs onto my hand without me even getting close. He obviously likes me :) but is handling them bad? He just sits on my hand for as few mins then i put him back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts