Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
A friend of mine has been buying robo hamsters from [email protected] for a while now, and every time they've bought them, the hamsters have died at a young age because they keep trying to kill each other.

My friend buys them in pairs, but they have a suspicion that they aren't always from the same litter, and unfortunately staff cannot guarantee that they are, either.

Today they came home to both of their hamsters dead, one had half of its body missing, and the other died for an unknown reason. They had enough food and water, apparently had a very close bond, and showed 0 signs of violence beforehand. Not sure why they would fight over territory, since robos are a social breed.

The enclosure is large, with a lot of running space and places to sleep. Lots of toys to keep them active, so my friend doubts it's because of stress.

One of the hamsters seems to have some internal damage - "I examined Bambi over and I think he has some internal damage, his pelvis doesnt feel right and clicks when I press down on it lightly, his lower ribs feel damaged.. he also has a bloody nose and mouth, possibly choked or a bone cut him inside?"

-----------------------------------

The hamsters were quite young, possibly just reaching maturity or in the peak of it.

Before my friend gets any more robo hamsters, they would like to know if there's anything they can do to avoid this situation again.
They cannot go to a breeder, as the closest one is a 3+ hour drive, which their family is not willing to do. The only store that they can get pets at is [email protected]

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had this problem before with my robos ages ago. Sadly not to this extent, I found a spec of blood on a piece of carefresh. I separated my girls because I was not risking it. Both seemed perfectly happy with no problems after that. As long as they get enough affection, stimulation, a healthy diet and plenty of hides. They should have no problems

·
Registered
356 Posts
HI I would not keep robo hamsters together .... pet shops tend to sell them as pairs but this isn't necessary. It can work out though having pairs or groups given they have loads of space like the zoozone 2 would be fantastic for a pair with loads of tunnels and lots a hiding a good rule is 2 of each ...2 wheels food bowls etc. but it doesn't always work out.... I personally keep them in separate cages they do not need or benefit from having cage mate unlike some other rodents.

They are social but some just cant be bothered with a cage mate in there face all day everyday..
Bullying with cage mates can go unnoticed ... to the point of like you mentioned death though it should have been clear there was problems when it went as far as it did .
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Had a couple of these guys when I was younger. Both females from pets at home, but my sister's one got fed up of mine and killed her.
I really wouldn't keep them together...

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Sorry if I seem to be intolerant, but is your friend not learning from what is happening??

If she 'keeps buying them' and they 'keep trying to kill each other', then surely the way to avoid it is not to keep them together???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello, my robo hamsters were also purchased together from the same place. They were perfectly happy for a year and we’re initially very close.

After a year, we started to see some signs of aggression towards each other which was out of the ordinary. We put two food bowls in opposite sides of the cage, removed different ‘levels’ in the cage and opted for an incredibly large glass Vivarium that was all the same level (it was an ikea shelving unit that we used as cage by turning it on it’s side). This subsided any aggression for a while. After seeing the initial signs of aggression again we separated them just to prevent anything fatal happening. They are now much happier and still going strong!

In your case I would definitely NOT go to that exact shop again, seems to be a pattern in your case. If you have your heart set on having robos then you should be looking elsewhere, if not then maybe you should consider other hamsters that you can get near you. Furthermore, unless you are prepared to house them separately in the future, I would not advise getting a pair. As hamsters can suddenly fall out, regardless of being from the same litter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts