Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 or 4 months ago found out that this little guy was living in my garden, I tried to catch him but he always escaped and I didn't want to harm him or anything.

Long story short, a couple of weeks ago weather has been really cold there is only a few spots in my patio where the sun shines directly, I have a stiff hill besides the house that blocks the sun in winter.

2 days ago found this lizard lying still somwhere in the garden, looked really bad so I took it with my and set it up a little enviroment, I don't know anything about lizard, thats why I need your help. It hasn't been eating and it barely moves.

any suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
where do you live?
you could take it to a rescue center, maybe theres the best place for him, as you dont now alot about them, i would take it a soon as you have chance.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
sorry mate, got to agree with snakelover there!! way to much to take on for a first time reptile.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
iceberg lettice is bad for iggy's. you can offer dark lettice, spring greens, and many others, as said, where are you in the ccountry?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
basic advice, i cannot see if you are using any heat, so if you are not, he needs some immediatly. you can use a desk lamp, point it on him to warm him, but makesure that if he moves, or stands he cannot reach it.

he may be dehydrated, so try to give him some water. if you slowly drip water from a syringe or pipette, he may drink readily.

as said, a healthy iggy is too much for a first time keeper, so i would reccomend givinh him up to a rescue.

on the forum, there are many people who are willing to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the response,

I'm in Tijuana Mexico, (border with US), I've been looking for a vet but I haven't been able to find any that treats lizards here, there should be but as I never had the need for one, I found myself kind of lost.

I have two lamps one it's ordinary incandescent light and I have another one that is halogen bulb, but I'm only using the incandescent and as the other one radiates UV i've been using it for very short periods of about 30min.

I noticed she liked flowers so I cut some and swap them instead of the lettuce, I'll try to give her water drops.

thank you very much, I'll keep looking for a rescue center or a vet.

I"ll keep you posted

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
if it is warm outside, in the garden, try putting him out there, as he will need uv light, and dont give up on finding a vets for him. are you allowed to take exotic pets across the border?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Think with US law it wouldnt be classed as an exotic pet? More a wildlife rescue. And as they are already in some of the southern US states it should be ok? ( this is guess work and conjecture based on my limited knowledge of us law lol)

Anyway.... try Zoo's... wildlife sanctuaries... anywhere at all with animals should be able to point ya in right direction

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Have you got any relatives south from you?

If so you can go visit them and release it.

Would be MUCH easier to put it back where it belongs than have it in captivity and subject to patchy care.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your in mexico right, there isnt anyother land south of you. arent they there in the wild? I have to say i havent been to mexico but when im in cuba ( i know very different) they are all over cause its there natural habitat. i would just find an animal rescue to phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sorry to let you know that the little fella didn't make it. it sucks because i have just found about a place where he could get helped.

thank you very much for your help and concern, I really appreciate it.

alex

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
:cry: awwwww poor thing, at least you tried.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts