Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My amel female has never done it before but has spent the last 3 days curled up in her waterbowl,

I've moved her out more times than i can count because i'm worried about her gettin too cold, but she goes straight back in,

i have checked for mites and cant see anything,

What could it be ??

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
i am getting the same with my royal just now. Funny, coz corns aren't so keen on water are they?

Is it possible she got a little overheated? maybe she went to sleep for too long on a heatmat. no sign of burns at all?

could even be as simple as you turning up the central heating. have you had a cold snap lately?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
if she gets to cold she'll move out of the water bowl... it could be that she is in shed but to make doubley sure just check you temps ambient & hot spot. Chances are its nothing to worry about... mine chills out (no pun intended) in the cold part of the viv all the time!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i checked everything and it all seemed fine, she dont look like she's shedding but she just went for me, which is a first, she's usually the sweetest little thing which makes me think its something else,

I have had my heating up a lot but i'd lowered thier vivs just before that anyway so it would have balanced out i think.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
how old is she?

if she still young shedding will be quite frequent and they are gong to be nippy at that age when in shed! They are scared little things when they canna see properl
y

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no she's 3 years old, shed not too long ago. she's the house snake, on the sofa most of the time, she'd never EVER even hissed at anything she's a softy

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
she may be getting ready to shed

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
unless its miles too hot, i dont think heat will be an issue myself..

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i know she has shed, but she may well be getting ready for another one, so is there anyway she could be gravid?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cornmorphs said:
i know she has shed, but she may well be getting ready for another one, so is there anyway she could be gravid?
cant rule it out cuz she does live with a boy

she's the same one i told u about a few weeks ago that was a bit swollen before the vent but that all went down,

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
as right, well if she is big enough then there will be a good chance..theres a lot of accidental eggs at this time of year.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so what do i do, leave her in the water bowl ? Separate her ?

or is it a case of wait and see ??

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
can you bring her round? i might be able to feel them for you (the eggs before someone says anything else lol)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol i could do yeah,

surely there would be some increase in her size if she was, the swelling before went down after 5 or 6 days and she's had her figure back ever since, she is a bit small but has bred before,

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
sounds silly, but have a look around the viv.
i have known people not noticed eggs for weeks

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
The swollen around the vent bit could have been maybe before she pooed? Just a thought ... Could still be mites - my BP had them when we first got her and I couldn't see anything but when I took her in to our local reptile place he confirmed she did have some and I just couldn't see them (I was a newb then ;) ). If you took cornmorphs up on his offer to look, he would probably have more idea - difficult to say what anything is for certain on the internet. But hey, maybe the patter of tiny scales are on their way ... :D

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have known this behavour before.......my mates gost striped started just sitting in the water bowl, and got quite nasty when she was moved, and all it was, was she had mites, and was trying to drown them, then she shed about 3 time on the trot. check if she has any pen tip size dots, mainly around the eyes, if she wont let you look at her, try the male, as he will have them as well. if they have then see you herps vet and get it sorted, make sure you clean EVERYTHING in the tank, including the tank itself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts