Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently bought a little snake all of my own (not my partners!!) its a corn and to me quite beatiful...i was told it was a "carolina" not sure of sex but nearly 4 mths old. everythings fine with "her" i just have a few questions i would appreciate some help with....

ive looked at pics to see if i can see what sort she is and i cant see much diff if at all with the miami phase...is this me?
also ive heard and read diff opinions on keeping corns together...is this ok? or does it have to be diff sex pairs? would keeping two boys together cause trouble for one of them? i would very much like to get another and would like to know b4 i do...its not a problem to keep them apart. we have a few snakes already and all r kept separate at the mo.
im not meaning i want to chuck them all in together just my little ones!
they will have come from same shop if thats any help?

thanks in advance for help :D :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
I keep three corns together,all female,not had any problems.I know people who do keep males together with no problems.If you end up with a pair make sure you take the male out when he about a year old as he will want to mate with the female and at that age she will prob too small and you will stunt her.So all in all i would get another if thats what you want,shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks very much for ur help..i feel better now...and have excuse to go and get anthoer one....or two!!!!

how do u feed the 3 females u have together? do u take them out and feed sep? am curious for later on if i have them together :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks bizz....thats what i shall do if i can get another one!!
as i said i now fell better for knowing that i can keep two together and i will keep them sep for feeding.
we have to this any way when we feed the trinkets...not much fun tho as there r shedding...one last week one this week!!!!
thanks again :D

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
one small thing.. hatchlings are best kept seperate...

its rare, but it does happen, that one baby corn will eat another..

Nerys

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
In 15 yrs of breeding i have had one instance of canibalism in corns,and one is enough! I would not keep any snakes together personaly,people do without a problem but why take the chance?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i prefer to keep snakes seperated, its easier at feeding and you will have housing problems if one gets ill, as they will nned to be kept seperate then.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I leave one in the tank and the other two are put in "snake sacks" each when feeding,stops any fighting.Also i always have a spare viv or two incase any are getting stressed/sick but so far, touch wood, everything is fine.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
when keeping HATCHLINGS

please please please keep them one per tub..

because otherwise...

you are being blind..

to the fact that..

baby snake can..

will, and do

eat each other..

they also eat themselves on rare occasions...

many snakes who eat each other, go on to die.. both the one in the belly and the one who ate it.. most of the time, the meal is too large to digest, and if they cannot vomit it, they tend to die as a result.

if you have two baby snakes of ANY species.. they should be kept solo... PERIOD

i see a lot who do not... and it always makes me cringe...

Nerys

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
it happens to lots of species yeah.. and it really ****s me off that a whole bunch of blind morons STILL keep their hatchling or neonate snakes togther..

i mean, it makes me want to take them by the ears, and bang their heads against a window.. shouting "do you not realise what you are doing"

do not keep two hatchling royals together either...

incidently LNV, if those 1.1 burms you are selling share that 3ft penine.. then imho you are asking for trouble...

or two hatchling boas

i also know of burms that have eaten each other... carpet pythons that have eaten each other, rainbow boas that have eaten each other...

i mean.. when WILL people learn!! i guess when people stop buying more than they have space to keep maybe??? snakes are NOT social animals.. they do not NEED company.. in the wild, they don't stop at their mates for a cuppa like we do, they do not need a friend at all..

i tell you when the stubborn ones learn... when they have a snake eaten, thats when they will learn.. at a cost to the snake..

gets right up my nose this issue.. i see so many people giving it rada rada rada its never happened to me...

what they forget is the YET... its never happened to me YET...

Its never happened to me at all.. and i can promise it never will... why.. becasue i keep all my babies solo.. thats the only way you can be sure it never happens..

N
(can you tell its something i feel strongly about?)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well hope you feel better now,i can see the steam coming out your ears from here lol. I know it can happen as the pictures show but honestly how often does it happen and does anyone know why they do this, is it under feeding or is it just because they can?

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i would think its usually that the other one smells of food, or they eat together and the slightly bigger one (usually) eats the others mouse and the other one on top.
i guess they could do it if they have been starved

·
Registered
198 Posts
god them pics are shocking. personally i dont see the point in keeping them together. it doesnt really cost much more to keep them seperate and think of how bad you would feel if 1 ate the other 1, you'd only blame yourself forever for it and possibly end up with 2 dead snakes.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
and......... babies are still learning what is and is not food, so the feeding response can kick in with anything that moves.
so called 'non feeders' are just as likely to eat each other as well, so people that keep hatchlings together until they feed are risking canablism as well.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
if you want to keep more snakes than you have vivs then use a rack system to save space.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
seen them pics before, they are still minging :sick:

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
it happens a lot more than people admit to basically!!! i know of 3-4 this year, several of which are forum members...

can be a result of feeding yes, with things like corns..

like in the following case...

but of course in ones like this...

thats not how it could have happened.. being only one snake present!

even if you split the snakes for feeding, people have had it happen where one of the snakes smells of the food item he has just eaten, and the other one will then attack becasue the smell is still there.

reactive snakes like royal pythons, burmese pythons.. boas and the like.. quite often strike each other when they are in feed mode... if one snake is coiled ready to strike and the other snake passes it, then one can strike and constrict the other.. i have two young boas here.. i know without a doubt one would eat the other if he happened to have the chance.. he strikes and tries to eat everything in sight as a rule.. another boa passing in front of him, would get struck at..

in the wild, young snakes will eat whatever comes their way, to them its not un-natural.. young king snakes eat a lot of other young snakes in the wild.. in the usa, some kings are fed on baby corns to begin with.

i know of people too, who have bought babies from shows.. and taken them home in one box.. on arrival, one has eaten the other.. (i know at least 2 people this happened to now)

in that case, there is no way it can be anything to do with food or feeding.. as no-one feeds on the way home from a show!

N

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
The only snakes I keep together are my garters as they live in colonies anyway. Kings are known for being cannibals anyway and should not keep together but when I bought one at the show the other month one of the blokes told me he keeps his kings together and has for the last 7 years without any problems...I dont personally think thats right and although he's not had problems yet what says he wont in the next few years.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts