Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very simple really - p. regalis or p. striata

All googled pics look very similar. Is there any major differences (except obviously price!) that would sway my decision.

Other possible options are

p. fasicata, miranda, ornata, pedersoni or rufilata.

Any keepers out there who can pin point the differences (if there are any!) and which would be best for a 'first pokie' (but not first spider of course!)

Also, I'm aware they will need a tallish viv with a tube shaped/u-shaped hide, but do I need to know anything else?

Cheers in advance guys

Andy

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
The only difference is the ventral markings. Apart from that, to any non pokie expert they're near enough identical.

Care wise. Warm, humid, water bowl, hide, mist weekly or twice a week. Temps 75F+. They do get large though :)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Just bought my first Pokie a few days ago. I bought a young regalis as they seem to be the most well known ones. When I brought it home and housed it, it took a few days to settle down but it took a cricket this morning and seems happy enough. Just need a tall container with a piece of wood for it to hide behind and keep the humidity high.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
just as Becky said, theres only a couple of Poecilotheria sp that look unique, the rest look pretty much the same. no diff cept price, and minor keeping requirements

1 - 4 of 4 Posts