Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I introduced my male rainbow to my female on Saturday and all seems well he was immediately interested and hasn’t left her alone since pairing but I have read different things on how long to leave together. Obviously I don’t want to leave him in there longer than necessary but also don’t want to take him out to soon before they breed. some stuff I’ve read says take out after 2/3 days and others say leave paired for a couple of months? Any advice would be helpful thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
I left mine together for a few weeks when I bred mine. Long enough to make sure they'd locked, but separate before the female gets stressed by being pestered.

It might depend on how keen your male is. If he's over keen, shorter amount of time is better. My male was a bit of an idiot, I wasn't sure if he'd even made an attempt 😂

She'll retain the sperm from a mating anyway, so you don't need to have them together for exactly when she ovulates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I left mine together for a few weeks when I bred mine. Long enough to make sure they'd locked, but separate before the female gets stressed by being pestered.

It might depend on how keen your male is. If he's over keen, shorter amount of time is better. My male was a bit of an idiot, I wasn't sure if he'd even made an attempt 😂

She'll retain the sperm from a mating anyway, so you don't need to have them together for exactly when she ovulates.
Yeah he’s been very keen since I put him in there hasn’t left the female alone lol how do you know if they have locked will the male lose interest ? Also I did see the male wrapping his tail around but the female seemed to be pulling hers away initially so not sure if they locked. So you think if I leave them for 2/3 weeks and then separate that would be ok? My first time breeding snakes I’ve read a ton about it but there’s some things I’m not sure of 😂 cheers for the tips

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah he’s been very keen since I put him in there hasn’t left the female alone lol how do you know if they have locked will the male lose interest ? Also I did see the male wrapping his tail around but the female seemed to be pulling hers away initially so not sure if they locked. So you think if I leave them for 2/3 weeks and then separate that would be ok? My first time breeding snakes I’ve read a ton about it but there’s some things I’m not sure of 😂 cheers for the tips
With him being obviously keen, I'm sure he's probably already done the job!

·
Registered
278 Posts
How old are they? What sort of size?

Usually just pair them until an ovulation but occasionally separate for a few days to a week to give the female a rest and feed them both (if they are interested)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How old are they? What sort of size?

Usually just pair them until an ovulation but occasionally separate for a few days to a week to give the female a rest and feed them both (if they are interested)
The female I have had since a baby she’s 5 and about 6ft . the male I got this year was told he was 3 and he’s about 4/5 ft I will try attach picture and ok cool I was planning on separating after a week to offer food, not sure if he has done the deed as was the first time seen him sleeping in a different hide this morning but I just want to be safe and not take out to soon. The female actually looks bigger already and has been keeping half her body out of the hide but would it come on that soon as only paired on Saturday. Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
You may find they are too young to breed, but still no harm in trying.

No swelling would be around a month after mating. Females will start to lie funny; on their side or upside down when building follicles. Then you will see an ovulation which looks like the snake has had a large meal, but the meal is in the wrong place. This will then go down. Babies are born about 3 months after ovulation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok cool thanks I will leave them for a while longer and hope for the best 🤣

1 - 9 of 9 Posts