Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:welcome:
I am constructing my first viv from an old wardrobe. and am wondering if anyone has any advice on the best method to go about it for things like light fittings, ventalation, heating. baring in mind this will be a tempory home for an iguana (if anyone knows of a young iguana male/female going anywere also leave a post please). i already have the main frame to it so back and sides and then the 2 sliding glass panels at the front.

·
Registered
20 Posts
fittings wise you wont need a lot, i know when you buy an arcadia UV controller you get the bulb retainers with it, you will more than likely be able to buy a bulb holder for your basking lamp from you local exotics shop or even 1 from B&Q will do. as for ventilation along the top of the back board cut out several holes soffet vents + a couple in the side vents if needed, and thats about it i think.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the suggestion i have now got the ventilation done did it how i thought would be best wasnt hard. its just finding the best heating and lighting methods now really thanks though.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
do youhave dimensions and how you are planning to arrange it.
hot spot cool spot etc.

make sure you get correct rated holders for your bulbs, (ceramic holders)

possibilities,
heat:-
megaray heat and uvb bulb,s
heat mat,
spot light,
heat lamps (IR/ceramic)

UVB,
mega ray, flourescent tube, mercury vapour ( iirc)
do not get them little spirally bulb things, they focalise the beam and are not very good i beleive.

humidity:-
mister system,
spraying regularly,
regular baths,
or take it in the bathroom with you when you shower,
large tray of water in bottom of viv, ( surplus to your drinking bowls)

bear in mind you need thermal and horizontal temperature gradients.

you will need enough logs,branches, climbimg things to keep your ig interested and active mentally and physically.

try putting your viv near a window so he has a tv on the world.

let us know dimensions etc.
S & M

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alot that should be of help has deffantly given me some ideas anyway. the enclosure is 3 1/2ft height 2ft width and 2ft depth. it is going to have a hot spot not sure how or were its going to be but probably be acroos the back of the enclosure with a spot light but not deffantly.
thanks for the suggestion mainly on heating it this was my main concern the humidity and lighting i have already thought on that and will be ok humidity by a large bowl of water in the bottem and regular spraying, and for lighting already seen some the uv bulb set ups but what is the mega ray thing u mentioned do u have any recomendations to using that not heard of it before.
and the window ideas a good idea thanks.
and yer as for enrichment that will all be fine already got plans on what im doing for that.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
hiya,
megaray are a company that makes uvb products etc for reps and such like,
everyone on the GIS raves about them.

over the years there has been concerns raised regarding the low frequencies of the UVB light spectrum output from flourescent tubes and that these low frequencies can cause photo keritanitis (sp),

i beleive these cases are rare, but nonetheless stil occur.

megaray provide lamps that dont have this frequency and also they have a year life and have a much stronger ouput, whereas UVB tubes are recommended to be changed every 6-8months. UVB output degrades over time.

in thelong run the mega ray would save you money because of the liefe expectancy of the bulb. you can get either an externally ballasted or self ballasted unit.

Mega-Ray Ultraviolet | UVB | UVA | Reptile | lighting | Bulbs | Lamps | Sole UK Distributor

although your tube still may output light the actual UVB rays will reduce over time,

I DO NOT HAVE ONE. i am usng 10% UVB tube and a full spectrum tube.
i am letting you know what they are.

i have my reaasons why i am delaying getting one.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
on a second note.
why are you building a smaller temp viv??

it would prob be worth your while building the permanent enclsure and have done with it.

a couple of reasons why,
igs grow immensely quickly ( i would think you will be lucky to get a year/year and a half from your dimensions) all dimensions.

igs get stressed easily as i guess a lot of reps do, so changing him soon will incurr more unneeded stress ( it may not it may be totally happy with it, my seraphine was fine and perky when i moved him into his new viv).

when you build your new viv you will have to reconfigure your new setups and you will probably end up ammending it loads as ig gets bigger (I KNOW I AM ).

anyhoos just wanted to point that out.

S & M.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks for the help went for a uv tube in the end but thanks for the information on the mega rays will consider them for when i set up its new viv. cause got him now did friday is a red iguana youngster looks stunning :)
thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Hi mate,

As Mahender says, Mega Ray mercury vapours, or better still metal halides are the way to go. learn what you can about these bulbs and when you feel comfortable, change over to them, you wont look back : victory:

Red Iguana's build is a good one to look at.

Jay

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
lol dude this thread is a year old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts