Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beardies absolutely love thier greens I give them a mixture, their stools were quite solid when they came from the rep shop...noticed that there are never any greens in viv in any rep shop Ive been too ..just recently their stools have been a little on the runny side..could this be a side effect of too many greens do you think? is it better to stop the greens for a few days to see what happens?...thanks in anticipation...: victory:

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
You'd be better off changing the type of greens rather than cutting them out; they should form 75% of the diet for adults to prevent liver damage, so removing them from the diet isn't really an option. If changing greens doesn't help (try something with a lower water content), consider getting them checked by a vet for parasites etc...

·
Registered
230 Posts
its good that ur beardies like there greens at 5 months ours 2 of our 3 wouldnt even look at them till well over a yr our female only started to eat a lot of greens while gravid, hopefully she will keep eating them lol

we dont give them iceberg tho. i use the floretta bags or asda italian style our male loves the red leaved lettuce.

dont now if that will help u any

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that, ours love the red and purple lettuce and dandelion too...just a bit concerned as they do poo every day but it just seems really loose rather than solid..hope it doesnt get any worse other wise a trip to my vet with poo is on the cards!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think anything leafy like lettuce has a very high water content, which leads to watery poos. That's why mine gets butternut squash as the staple of his food (I think it has more fibre) and leafy things like dandelion just add a bit of variety and water for him. He goes mad for red pepper I've found so I add that as a treat every few days : victory:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think anything leafy like lettuce has a very high water content, which leads to watery poos. That's why mine gets butternut squash as the staple of his food (I think it has more fibre) and leafy things like dandelion just add a bit of variety and water for him. He goes mad for red pepper I've found so I add that as a treat every few days : victory:
Thanks smilo, I have just read another thread which says they should be eating aboyt 20% veg so i will cut right down as they love it so much...they go through about firty cricks a day too....think I will stick to dandelion for now and cut out all the types of lettuce...would hate to think they have parasites....oh by the way like your beardies name...:lol2:

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
try them on some spring greens.
beardies need a nice dark leafy green.i always use the rule if it has the word lettuce in the name dont use it.
also stuff like butternut squash,peppers,fruit etc etc should only be fed as a treat and not as a staple food.they contain too much phosperous(forgive me if im wrong) and they also have little nutritional value..
the reason yours are having runny poo is because the vegetables you are offering contain far too much water.
change the veg offered and the poo should be normal in a few days.
beardies need greens offered daily this is where they get their water from.and of course other nutrients insects cant give them...they are omnivores which means they eat insects and vegetable matter.
im not a big beliver in all this 20% this and %75 that...if your beradie wants to eat greens then obviously theres something in the greens hes wanting be it water or phosperous or calcium etc etc....who are we to take it away.just make sure they are offered the correct dark leafy greens and it will all be good :2thumb::2thumb:

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
try them on some spring greens.
beardies need a nice dark leafy green.i always use the rule if it has the word lettuce in the name dont use it.
also stuff like butternut squash,peppers,fruit etc etc should only be fed as a treat and not as a staple food.they contain too much phosperous(forgive me if im wrong) and they also have little nutritional value..
the reason yours are having runny poo is because the vegetables you are offering contain far too much water.
change the veg offered and the poo should be normal in a few days.
beardies need greens offered daily this is where they get their water from.and of course other nutrients insects cant give them...they are omnivores which means they eat insects and vegetable matter.
im not a big beliver in all this 20% this and %75 that...if your beradie wants to eat greens then obviously theres something in the greens hes wanting be it water or phosperous or calcium etc etc....who are we to take it away.just make sure they are offered the correct dark leafy greens and it will all be good :2thumb::2thumb:
Butternut Squash actually has a positive Ca:p ratio, so is an ideal staple veg for them... Spring Greens are even better as a staple, as they have an even more favourable ratio. I'm not sure how pepper stacks up, but wouldn't recommend giving it as more than a treat just to be sure. Fruits are generally too high in sugars for them.

The idea of letting them choose is all well and good if you can provide the same plants that would grow in Australia. In the UK you can't. They have evolved with Australian plants, and have instincts relating to them. A beardie won't have a clue which non-native plants contain what it needs, and which don't.

Allowing them to eat more than 25% or so livefood as adults will cause them to eat more protein than their livers can handle. Once they stop growing at a rapid rate, their protein requirements are minimal. Any excess is broken down by the liver, producing ammonia as a byproduct. Excess ammonia can kill the hepatocyte cells in the liver; these are not regenerated, hence why in humans if you damage your liver the only "cure" is a transplant. In the wild, they wouldn't be able to catch enough livefood as adults to make it a majority component of their diets. In captivity when the livefood is shut in a cage with it, it's much easier for the beardie to over-indulge. Unfortunately, a 4' cage isn't "natural" so you can't let them behave exactly as they would in nature; some things have to be controlled more due to the fact that they are living in a closed environment.

The runny poo may be caused by an excess of water in the diet, or it could be caused by something more serious, such as parasites. If you bath / spray them, try cutting down on that, to allow them to take in a higher propertion of water via their veg. Remember they have very low water requirements, so spraying them and giving them fresh veg may cause them to ingest more water than their guts can cope with, hence why some of it comes out with the poo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts