Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a bit of advice on feeding please. I have 2 corns born Aug 06, they are 17" and 15" long, both female. Both were on 2 pinkies once a week, but looking for more. I then increased this to 2 pinkies on a sunday and 1 on a wednesday. Today when I fed them, the larger one struck at me when i tried to put her back in to her viv (never done that before) . Should i increase now to fluffies or do 2 and 2 pinkies. I dont want to over feed them. Both shed well and they feed quickly. Any advice would be very welcome.

·
Registered
168 Posts
lol, i'd say because you fed her two pinks on sunday she was wondering where dessert was!! seriously though, i wouldn't feed them anymore at the moment she was probably just in 'feeding mode' or maybe you had the smell of pinkies on your hand?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. should i keep to the 2-1 regime. they never settle for ages after feeding just 2 a week. this time both are now on their hides sleeping. Great feed, clean, handle, bore the ears off anyone who will listen about them and they think i am dinner! I did use tweezers to feed them, but guess she is just a greedy little soul!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
i would say thats plenty, i feed mne a pinky every five days and they seem to be growing well! i got mine in hatchling tubs at the mo and feed them in there so i dont have to move them after.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sure is Jay, I just checked on them and they look so content, a couple of hours ago and i had a giant worm ready to take my hand off, LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both are in seperate hatchling tanks, i did have just paper towel in, but was advised to use aspen, to prevent them eating it whilst feeding i take them out. Up till today they have always been great to get in and back in after a feed. obviously she was just letting me know that she was expecting a bit more. What age are yours?

·
Registered
168 Posts
one is a sept hatch and the other is only about a month old! i got mine on aspen too, to get round the swallowing substrate problem i feed off the tongs, or lay the pinky on a paper towel on top of the aspen!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi.

My smallest corn is about 20 inches long. I've just moved him onto fluffs as he was like your's looking for more. He was wolfing pinkies down in seconds. Try buying a pack and trying them. If they struggle, go back to pinkies. If they manage them easily, you know it's time to change. Mine is on two fluffs a week. He's a greedy so n so though as he even feeds when shedding and strikes and constricts like a Kingsnake :lol:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
To cut down on the feeding response strike to your hands (cute in a baby, not so cute in a 5ft adult!) try using a feeding tub. Put the food item in the tub first and then introduce the snake. Some snakes prefer to be covered up when fed this way (a tea towel over the lid will do). Then the snake will learn to associate your hand with an outing, not with food. Also solves the problem of possible substrate ingestion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think i am the only one who dont use my viv to feed my snake in, i use a container. i have the mice already warm in, and put my snake in. i dont use the viv because i heard that the sanke will associates your hand with food.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Corn snakes of 15"/17" should ideally still be on paper towels in tub set ups - there's absolutely nothing to gain from keeping them on aspen at the moment.
Even in a viv, kitchen towels or newspaper sections could be used for little ones and so do away with the need for a separate feeding tub.

Darren - snakes might only associate your hand with food if the only time you open the viv is to feed them (or to change their water/to clean). If opening the viv means a handling session at least 2/3 of the time then they're unlikely to confuse your hand with food.

·
Registered
168 Posts
well, i've kept all mine on aspen right from the word go and never seen any of them swallow it! if they won't strike feed i leave the prey item on a square of kitchen paper on the aspen. in my opinion aspen also looks nicer and a couple of mine like to burrow in it rather than use their hides, never had a problem with hand/food association either!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts