Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i got the litter critter last june, and he was tiny. Ive been keeping him indoors all winter under a lamp, with a plentiful supply of food. I was told he was a greek tortoise.

the first time i weighed him was in November and he was 35 grams. Since then his weight has been increasing, recently even faster, and he now only 5 months later, weighs just shy of 90 grams. Is this a normal weight gain rate? Friends and family have commented on how he now seems 'massive'.

Also i was planning on shifting him outside in May due to the fact, that one he's getting rather big for his enclosure, and two seems pretty bored. Can you keep tortoises outside when there this young? is this ok for the south east england area?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Felix

·
Banned
3,371 Posts
hi,

i got the litter critter last june, and he was tiny. Ive been keeping him indoors all winter under a lamp, with a plentiful supply of food. I was told he was a greek tortoise.

the first time i weighed him was in November and he was 35 grams. Since then his weight has been increasing, recently even faster, and he now only 5 months later, weighs just shy of 90 grams. Is this a normal weight gain rate? Friends and family have commented on how he now seems 'massive'.

Also i was planning on shifting him outside in May due to the fact, that one he's getting rather big for his enclosure, and two seems pretty bored. Can you keep tortoises outside when there this young? is this ok for the south east england area?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Felix

You can keep tortoises outdoors from hatching, so long as it is warm enough and they have the option to find a warm area ie heated by electricity. If he is growing too fast then he is being fed too much, it's in your hands I am afraid. Is he growing smoothly or starting to pyramid? If smoothly then it's not too bad but if lumpy then you need to change his habitat and feeding habits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
his shell is smooth, not lumpy at all. its just i read today, when researching what weeds are good, that if he grows too fast its a unhealthy-is this true? i could always feed him less. at the moment he eats a lot of food. i tend to give him more than he can eat, and then takeaway leftovers.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
his shell is smooth, not lumpy at all. its just i read today, when researching what weeds are good, that if he grows too fast its a unhealthy-is this true? i could always feed him less. at the moment he eats a lot of food. i tend to give him more than he can eat, and then takeaway leftovers.
A picture would help tell if his growth is too fast.

·
Banned
3,371 Posts

To feed him enough to stuff himself to the point that he leaves some is overfeeding. Hopefully you are spreading it out so that he has to look for it. In the wild they can walk miles to look for food and this in turn helps with muscle and bone growth. There are many fat tortoises in captivity, but the cure is in the owners hands. He has more than doubled his weight in a few months which would not have happened in nature. As others have said, how about putting pics up for an opinion on his growth. It's not just about size ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts