Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a baby corn, her viv is fitted with a 75 watt bulb and the heat is 84 in the hot and 72 in the cold. I have just fitted a night bulb in the viv, but the bulb is only a 40 watt. Will this get to cold during the night (my flat gets very cold and I don't have central heating).

I was advised to fit a night bulb by the shop I bought her from and they said that a 40 watt will be ok for night times. But they also said a 50 watt would be ok for the day time but it didn't give out enough heat so I bought a 75 watt and now the heat is perfect.

Should I use the night bulb or just leave the day one on all the time?

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I try the night bulb now? If I do that then I can keep a close eye on the heat.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
what the temperatures your getting now?? Do you have a digital thermometer?

All your bulbs should be on a dimmer stat.. That way you can put a 100w in there and not be worried about it cooking the snake. You night bulb also needs to be red to simulate the day/night periods.

Temperatures should be around 88f at the hot end then anything above 78f at the cool end. Also my night time temps drop to around 68f but no lower than that I'd recommend.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Temps are 84 in the hot, and 72 in the cold. I am thinking it may be best to leave the day one on for tonaight and go buy a stat first thing in the morning. Its my first snake and I want her to be in perfect health and happy. I would be deverstated if anything went wrong.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
don't leave a day bulb on during the night that will cause it stress because its day will be too long.... unless of course its a red bulb.

If I were you what I'd do is get a 100w red bulb and a day/night dimmer stat. That way you can run the heat day and night with a temperature drop. 100w bulb should do the job nicely. Some people would also argue that 84f in the hot end is enough for a corn but i'd prefer it slightly warmer...

Mine hot end is 90f dropping to 78/78f during the day and then no lower than 68 during the nights

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just rang my friend, he has a red bulb I can borrow till I go buy a day/night stat and a 100 watt bulb. My snake comes first and I dont want my little one stressed so I will take your advice and get it sorted in the morning. Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts