Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting some leopard geckos, I know that if i put more than one male in the same viv they will fight, I want more than one but dont want babies, will females fight without a male? i read that you can keep 10 in a viv 3x2x1 feet, this seems alot to me, so how many can i put in a viv this size? I know that people cant agree on uv, but I wouldnt use one unless some one can prove its needed. Can i use Nutabal that I use for my BD and would powdered cuttle fish be ok for calcium? Do you use heat bulbs or mats and do you use night time heating in a centrally heated house.
Lots of questions I know, but I want to know what I'm doing and get it right first time.
I've read a few care sheets, but we all know what they are like, condradicting each other,so I want advice from people who own them.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Don't know about 10 in a 3*2 - seams alot but if you want to keep more than one and don't want babies your only option is females. Unlike homo sapiens, leo females will get along. Put in a male they'll breed put in two males they will fight.

You will need dome D3 vit' powder for them and a pot of pure calcium always available. You don't need a UV thogh as they are primerily noctural

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
10 in a viv that size is alot your right !!!

i would say 5 tops in that size viv, all females would be fine and i see NO reason why to bother with uv...

however, if you had 1 male... a propper collony, id glady take any eggs off your hands

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the poll is going the way i fully expected it to

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok main part i really wanted know is, how many can i comfortably keep in 3x2x1 foot viv?

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
General rule of thumb is 1 sq foot per gecko, so you looking at max 6 in that size viv. You must have atleast one hide each and a spare, plus a moist hide.

Females of the same size generaly wont fight, but you do sometimes get a stroppy one! Also, if you get from different places, make sure you keep apart for at least 1 month, you dont want some problem spreading to them all.

Yes Nutrabal is fine , twice a week dusting, and powder cuttlefish is good also, again twice a week, and a bowl in the viv kept topped up.

Bulbs or mats, its personal really. I like bulbs as they mimick the direction of heat, but dont like the bright light they produce. Mats are good as leos like to take up heat from the belly, but they dont give out any light. I personally use mats in my juvie and hatchling racks, and a system of heat cables and timed flouescent tubes in my viv systems for heat and light. I just turn the stat down a little at night, but mine are in a shed, not a house. It depends on what the temps fall to at night at your home.

As yet there is no positive conclusive facts that UV benefits or harms Leos, so I go with the thought that its not needed, but for short times i see no real issue, I mean for like an hour or so. Any more I wouldnt like to say.

Hope this helps, much the same as everyone else has said

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If i had 4 and used heat lamps at day and mats at night, would i need a light/mat for each one or just at one end like normal, obviuosly i still need a cool end.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You don't need heat lamps, there of no use for leos. Leos need the heat from underneath to help digest food.

I have a standard 60w bulb on during the day to help maintain the ambient this is turned off in the evening and I have a 15w red bulb on during the night so the temps don't drop to much during the winter. This also helps with the day/night simulation.

The heat mat is on 24/7

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
could you put the viv in a dark place and turn on lights at night and keep it dark in the day so that you could see them, or would this screw them up to much?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If I read right your thinking of trying to turn day into night and visa versa for them. If this is what you mean then I think it would screw them up a bit.

Mine wake up around 8pm and I use the 15ww red bulb to view them, but they are in the main living room and there's normal lights on until around 11pm as well.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah thats what i was thinking, they would be in the living room, in a space under the stairs, our living room is very dim at night anyway, we only have low watt lamps, so as not to disturb the bd or snakes.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
my geckos come out as soon as their tank lights go out, even if the room lights are still on.... some use red lamps to see them better but i find this makes the viv too hot... we just use heatmatts all year round..

HTH

Kev

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'd give an hour or so at dawn and the same again at night as in the wild they bask for short periods of time (ud only need a low strength uv light) but its beneficial.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts