Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a little baby corn snake (about 14 inches) from a friend of mine.
I dont know what morph it is (not that it matters, hes a cute little guy/girl anyway) and I dont have a decent enough camera to get a photo thats focused and has the right colours so ill try explain it to you, maybe someone like stooka can help me out?

From photos ive found on the net it has the same main colouring as a 'snow' or 'blizzard' morph (almost white) BUT it hs very very light but very very prominent markings similar shape to a 'butter' morph, but not the same colour as a butter morph, more a light pink.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also, Im sure my setup is fine for the next few months while I build another viv as ive read up a lot before I got it, but I just want to make sure

Its in a stackable box (same as my my many Tarantulas) that is about 12inches by 12inches squared with a clear lid, and ventilation holes along the top. It has one hide box in the centre of the tank, a water bowl large enough for the snake to fit in at the 'cold' end and aspen substrate. I have a small heat mat covering about a 1/3 at the 'warmer' side of the tank. This is okay right?
I dont have a thermometer (Want to get one tomorrow though just to be sure) to check the temperatures but the heat mat is identical to the heat mats I have used to heat and keep very healthy leopard and golden geckos for years, so im presuming its a good temperature, add the fact that my room temperature is about a constant 23/24c anyway I would guess.

Thanks and I look forward to your input
Clarke

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I can't help you with the morph but you need the mat on a mat stat (the mat stat probe to be taped to top of heat mat) or you could end up with a cooked snakey, yes your Geckos have been fine but why risk it? You need a hide on the warm end and a hide in the cold end so the snake can choose where it wants to go. you need a thermometer you can't just guess at a temperature you need to know the temp at the hot end & the cold end.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been advised that a mat stat is only essential where there is a chance of the temperature outside the enclosure overheating, and considering the heating is on a thermostat and I live in scotland, this is not going to happen.
I just got a thermometer, the outside of the tank sits at 22degrees C, while the warm side of the tank is about 27 and the cool side 22. I have also read just as many websites/forums stating that a gradient isnt essential as I have read stating that it is essential, so Im not so worried about the gradient, as long as I watch my thermometer and make sure it doesnt drop too cool. I have also read many sites stating that only one hide is required as long as it is large enough to be partly in the cool and partly in the warm ends, which it is.

Please bear in mind this is only a temporary solution while I build a new vivarium for my geckos and put my snake into the metre long glass fronted wooden one I built not long ago.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Well you were advised wrong. Heat mats can over heat and burn out and possibly cause a fire. If you dont have it stated it could cause serious burns on your snake. You came on the site asking for advice and I'm telling you what everyone told me when I started and what everyone tells anyone else who asks.
Basic Needs:
Viv
Heat Mat
Mat Stat (ESSENTIAL)
Thermometer
Warm Hide
Cold Hide
Water Bowl

You also DO need a gradient. Your heat mat should cover approx 1/3rd of the vivs floor.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
thats what i was told too. by the folks on here and the shop.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Just wanna back up everything Cara has said. All good advice.

Get a digital thermometer and use that to check the temps. It will be more accurate than the stat dial.

It's hard to get a gradient in a hatchling box, just ensure the mat is at one end and the temp is right there.

One you move to the viv, you have more options to paly with multiple hides. Don't move too early, a small snake in a big viv may get stressed. Leave it in the tub until it's 18" - 2ft, this will also ensure it can't slip throught the gap in the glass while it is small.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate your advice, dont worry, its just annoying how you assume I dont know how to heat a viv, I may be young, but ive kept reptiles and arachnids in two totally different climated continents (Scotland and Australia!) I know how to control the temperature,I have a heated cabinet for all of my spiders and I build all of my rep vivs by hand without a mat stat (I use a dimmer though)

Im sorry if I came across the wrong way :)
Its just ive been using heat mats for years, and have been regulating a nice room temperature for years, I have given the right conditions to all sorts of spiders requiring different humidities and temps and setups, and I have bred scorpions.I know how to control the heating for my animals and I feel perfectly safe without a mat stat. (personal choice?)

I have taken your advice about the gradient and the two hides, I have sorted that out.(although google it and im sure youll find plenty advice saying a gradient isnt essential) The main thing I was asking was about the size, but I have moved him into a tank about a 2 and a half feet long now so that doesnt matter anymore.

Anyoen got any ideas about the morph?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I've not kept arachnids, so this may not be true, but don't they have exoskeletons, and legs (keeping thier body off the floor), which may shield them from the heat, where as a snake will have its soft belly in direct contact?

As a compromise, leave your mat on until it reaches full temperature, then press a sensitive part of your body firmly against it for a couple of minutes. If it's uncomfortable for you, it will be for the snake.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
i probably know less than you cause i have only had my wee snake for around five weeks, but spiders probably need differant things to snakes. i would imagine antway. and you did ask for advice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your right about the exoskeleton, but I dont think that it protects them from heat at all.
I have kept spiders that will inhabit the same areas as corns in the wild in the same cabinet.

The heat mats I use are only 7w!
Something you failed to ask. Even when pressed up against me it is just a gentle heat. Bear in mind this is under the aspen and the plastic, giving a nice gentle heat :) Trust me, it is not going to bake my snake! :p

Like I said, I have 26/27 at one end, and 22/23 at the other.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lynne said:
spiders probably need differant things to snakes. i would imagine antway. and you did ask for advice.
A - I never said they need the same thing?
I just said that they were kept in the same cabinet.

B - I never denied that i was asking for advice, she gave me advice and I followed it (about the gradient and the two hides)

I just dont agree that it is 100% ESSENTIAL to have a mat stat on a 7w heat mat, in a temp regulated room.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
i would imagine even a 7w heat mat could go wonky though. am only saying.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
DUDE!!!!!!! listen to what people have been saying, I dont understand why you even begin to argue with the fact, there is probably more knowledge on this forum than ten pet shops or 1,000,000 little kids who think they know what they are doing . Stats are only £30 and are ESSENTIAL!!!!!!!!! if its too hot the snake will fry as snakes cant tell temperature through their bellies and wont realise that it is being burnt. If the matt is too cold then it may have problems digesting food again not good for the snake. Are you short of money to buy the proper equiptment?????? if so maybee stick insects or cute liitle fluffy mice would be better choice for you. I know you said it was only temporary but even when you build your new viv you will need a STAT. I once saw a guy on the TV programme "You Bet" who could tell the temperature of a glass of water with his nose, are you that good?? Just bite the bullet and pop down the shops NOW!!!!!!!! I don't want to sound aggresive but PLEASE take head and act apon it.
Oh and Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I'm sure he'll take head if it's offered! :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Little kid who thinks he knows what hes doing? :p

Ill give you an update once the viv is done and let you know how succesful the statless temporary viv is :) :p

Lets not start an argument here. This forum is a good one and I dont want to be badly known on it.
Yes I have money and I will get a stat eventually.
Maybe even soon.
Just not at this precise moment in time.....
I give in, lets forget about the stat argument (i promise ill buy one to keep people ive never met happy, okay? :) )and anyone got any clue about the morph?

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
well am not going to guess coz i dont know enough. but a picture would probably help those who do know.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
One of those would be perfect but you could prob get them cheaper off e-bay, micro-climate also do stats aswell that are cheaper

1 - 20 of 50 Posts