Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking of getting a rankins from a local petshop (quite a good shop!!) and wondered what they were like to keep?
ive done loads of research but wanted people who had them to tell me what they know...ie what r they like to keep? do they get as tame as beardies and how many would be ok to keep together?
thanks for looking :D :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ah the lovely rankins dragon. Theyre similar to the beardie in almost every aspect bar size. a pair of rankins can be kept nicely in a 36x18x18 vivarium containing a spot lamp, uvb 8%(at least) tube, bowl of veggies and what ever decor takes your fancy.

Lovely dragons they are basically beardies with less of a beard and a few other minimal different features.

Anything specific you need to know, give me a shout.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank u very much!!
do they come in the same sort of colour range? ive seen some really tiny babies and they looked like they had red on them but wasnt too sure if it was my eyes!!! :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah bless i bet shes soooo cute...im trying to find some more somewhere so that i could meybe have one of each sex but not related. not much luck so far..will keep looking tho :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
There are no rankin dragons to be found anywhere near me, i got mine from Reptilebreeder.co.uk

My aim is to get a male next year and then hopefully they'l breed once the female comes around a year old. So i can have these lovely reptiles finally around this area.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that will be gr8 :D

how did u find ordering etc from a website? i ask as im not to sure about doing it!!! i would like to because then i would be able to get my little ones.
but am used to getting all my animals i have by going into shop and being able to handle them first or to pick them out!!!!

or am i living in the dark ages???? :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
I contacted them a good month + before i bought my dragon. lovely people! extremely helpful answered every email to perfection. Sent out the rankins by TNT (not the best delievery service, my mum saw them play rugby with the box as they got it from the van) but what can you expect?

The packaging was excellent and after a hour or so she soon adapted and was her lively self. Ate the same day aswell which was a major bonus because i was worried she wouldnt eat.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats what worries me is the travelling..and how they r treated by courrier!! but will def look into it more now thanks :D
glad urs is ok and doing well....whats her name? :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well until my girlfriend comes round to name her properly (shes a tad scared of her at the moment) Shes called George the dragon LOL!!

Neither of us could come up with a name we agreed on, so we settled on a temp name as "George"... the dragon. :oops:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah bless....lol
she may remain george the dragon!!!!

one of our king snakes is called george!!! :D

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I've got 3 rankins - they are very cute and just like beardies. At first they are a lot more skittish but at just over a year mine have calmed a lot.

We have some local to us - we're in Oxford - there's some available now in Python's Lair in Abingdon, Oxford (my mate's shop) and also up at Northampton Reptiles they normally have them.

I think I'd rather drive than rely on couriers, though it's the thing in the US. When I got my BCI we drove all the way up to Birkenhead from Oxford - the breeder would have brought her himself otherwise - he doesn't like shipping either.

Just think of it as a day trip - Oxford's got some nice sights and not too many tourists this time of year - there I go, rambling again :roll:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i can say ive never been to oxford!!! not sure if i really want to travel that far tho! but then u never know if i cant get any joy around here i just may have to do some travelling :D

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
sorry this is late but........
some one has baby rankins for sale in the classifieds on here and they live in somerset, if you have'nt seen it already.
Rankins are a pleasure to keep, they are ever so slightly harder to tame than beardies (jumpier as babies) but look at how easy beardies are to tame!!
You can see on my sig i have 3 rankins 1 beardy and 6 vittikins. Vittikins are beardy crossed with rankins but mine are only quater rankins, I do not breed rankins with beardies is what im saying. lol
My vittikins are all tame i have two jumpy little rankins and one fully tame one. Im going to have to work on the others. :roll:

Obviously it all depends on what size viv you have as to how many you can get, but the bonus of rankins is you can house males together as they dont scrap the way beardies do. :)

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Oxford's not all that far from Somerset - think it takes 1 1/2 - 2 hrs drive. My hubby is originally from Somerset (Wincanton area) so we have to make treks there sometimes.

I think beardies and rankins etc seem to be born naturally tame (tolerant) - try a monitor :lol:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i will look at the clasified in a mo thanks..lol
i keep looking and must have missed them...typical

and i thought oxford was further away then that....funny thing tho my partner used to live in wincanton too!!!!! small world even with the reptiles involved.....lol :D :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jinx.....ive looked for the advert for the rankins but cant seem to find it....lol
can help me please?? :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts