·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some advice please for 10 month old Water Dragon;

What temp does the viv need to be?
What rated UV tube do they need?
Do they need a basking light?
To the touch how should they feel(temp wise)?

thanks Red

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
hey there ive got a 6 months old wd and her viv temp hot end is 88-89ish cool end 80-83 ish depending on time of day they defo need a basking light in the hot end i use a normal spotlight bulb you get from woolworts or alike they need a 5.0 uv tube placed nomore then 8ish away from the highest branch
and the warmth of them should be warm well you should be able to feel the warmth defo not cold and not hot
anything else just ask
manda xx

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
lizard_lover said:
hey there ive got a 6 months old wd and her viv temp hot end is 88-89ish cool end 80-83 ish depending on time of day they defo need a basking light in the hot end i use a normal spotlight bulb you get from woolworts or alike they need a 5.0 uv tube placed nomore then 8ish away from the highest branch
and the warmth of them should be warm well you should be able to feel the warmth defo not cold and not hot
anything else just ask
manda xx

see I told you she was good! :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi thanks for the replys
what length uv tube should i get for a viv about 4ft long ,also what wattage should the tube be
thanks again for all your help red :D

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
get a 3ft tube which would be 36 inchs i think well the tubes you want is the 5.0% in a GREEN box lol i have no idea on wattage tbh just get the right size and % as the heat amount it gives off doesnt really matter also can i ask what size is your viv u say 4ft long how high/dep?
manda xx

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi Lizard_lover/Manda.

I've got my new baby Water Dragon in his/her new viv. Thanks for your advice so far, can i have some more advice please?

How long till my WD settles down in its new enviroment?
Why do my mealworms keep dying in the viv? The temp in the viv is at the temp u suggested.
My WD is about 4"body length(not including tail lenght), how old do u think it is? The shop suggested it was between 8 & 12 months old.
What age will i be able to tell what sex it is?
Am i ok to handle it each day at the moment from yr personal experience?

thanks Red

by the way i've called it Ziggi

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Just fill in till u get the advice ur after here...

Settling in varies for water dragons as it does all reps.
Some ppl leave them alone for a few days not even offering them food, i think once they show an interest in you then its ok to go check them out.

at 4 inches body id have thought it could be as young as 2 months as they can be this big at this age, however if kept in less than Prime conditions could still be this size for a year i guess.
With sexing, not sure, url know if its a male if u see the obvious signs but if u dont could still be..so if u see proof its a male then it is..otherwise i think a year till u can safely assume that a lack of obvious pores on the legs make the animal female... think they also have the hole one bulge or 2 thing dont they??

Mealworms die in the viv cos they dry up..
just like if u leave a plate of them out in the sun for the birds.
they need to burrow to stay cool etc.

You dont really want to be leaving mealworms in the viv to be honest though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks DeanandTrese,

i have taken the mealworm out, and put some crickets in for now.

how many WD have u got?

any other info would be grateful

Thanks again
Red

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Hi.
We dont have water dragons, just beardies and a bosc.
Have a big interest in water dragons though and have "hung out" with a few of them quite a bit.
I see them regualrly and know a hatchling from a year old etc.
I love water dragons, My local currently has a few baby green basiliscs and i thought about getting one but couldnt shake the thought "they are just like water dragons...but not as cool"
Im prolly gona get an iguana before a water dragon to be honest as they are my favourite rep, and i have unfinished issues in iguana keeping.

Have your water dragon any fruit or anything as yet?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Red said:
hi Lizard_lover/Manda.

I've got my new baby Water Dragon in his/her new viv. Thanks for your advice so far, can i have some more advice please?

How long till my WD settles down in its new enviroment?
Why do my mealworms keep dying in the viv? The temp in the viv is at the temp u suggested.
My WD is about 4"body length(not including tail lenght), how old do u think it is? The shop suggested it was between 8 & 12 months old.
What age will i be able to tell what sex it is?
Am i ok to handle it each day at the moment from yr personal experience?

thanks Red

by the way i've called it Ziggi
first d&t gave you great advice well done to them could you messure ur wd full lenth please to give you an idea rouge is nearly 6 months and is 11 inches snout to tail tip i belive her to be female even at this young age i could very well be wrong but i just belive it
mealies are rubbish lol i tend to put them in a bowl in the viv and skirt them with a little water every few hours this helps them stay alive :D
settling in i give all my reps 1 week before i start bothering them tbh it has always worked for me as far and handling goes is yours is young there wont like it at all they will squiggle out of your hand easy as you cant hold them too tight my best advice is to block and holes in the room make sure they cant get anywhere and start by stroking them everyday after the settling in period ive had rouge for about 3 months now and she is only just egtting used to be held still doesnt like it at the start but after a few minutes is ok and likes her belly being tickled lol
hope ive answered everything anything else just ask
manda xx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts