Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this on another forum ....looking for as much info ( its me snakies after all :!: ) ......

Getting wood today ( hopefully ) wanted to ask if it is better to have ceramic AND heatmat in viv ? This is for the new BRB viv . Humidity will be taken into consideration also ( moss/misting etc )

If both used I would assume that I will have to employ use of two (2) thermostats , so ...would two separate one's do or better with the Twin Stat set up ? My thinking is that if only one used ( if THAT can be done ) is what one do you prob ? Assuming it would be safer to default to the Hmat ....as contact more likely with snake....Ceramic ...of course will be guarded . Is this workable ? I know you can run more than one H/mat to a stat ...maybe not best option tho , any thoughts on this ?

Do I really need a heatmat in viv if using Ceramic heater ( thinking belly heat to aid digestion here ) ?

In my King viv ...it use's bulb for heat ....steady temp ( 28c ) at one end cool at other , you all seen the King ...he certainly healthy enuff and was purchased with this setup ...no probs there and he digests easily enuff ....regular after feeding . I am not ' cutting back ' on costs ....just looking for best for snakes .

Any heads up on particular products ...ie heard Pearlco is good and I currently use Living Earth Habistat Therm/stats and H/mats ?

Sorry for so many Q's ...... but I wanna do this right ! Any and all advice appriciated . TIA

Take care

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
i personally don't think you need a heat mat as well as a ceramic unless you have a particularly cold room that you keep your snakes in. a snake would not have a under belly heater to help digest in the wild. they would just utilise the optimum areas in their surroundings
a ceramic heater works best with a pulse proportional thermostat (you can get them on e bay for about 30 quid). thay basically send out a continual pulsed reading from the sensor which controls the heat by turning the bulb off and on at regular intervals. a mat stat will not work as well.
also, i would steer clear of using one thermostat for two mats as they can heat up and cool down at different rates and this may mean the thermostat switches off the mat when it is too hot or too cold

·
Registered
179 Posts
ceramic

hi i just use ceramics on there own keeps the temp spot on

G

·
I must admit that on my burm viv i do have a ceramic and a heatmat.Tis is because about 3 months ago my ceramic stopped working and with the temps outside i didnt notice a drop in the daytime temps but the nights were obviously cooler.It was only that i came down for a drink at 3am that i noticed the viv was too cold.I run them on seperate stats but if the ceramic ever breaks down again at least i will have a background temp from the mat.The mat is set at a lower temp to the cramic so it in theory should only ever come on if the ceramic stops working.

In my eyes after my shock its better to be safe than sorry.If it had happened in the winter my baby could have been down to freezing temps for a few hours before i noticed the viv was not at ideal temps but in the summer with the overall heat i didnt get a chance to notice things were not quite right.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I have a heat mat and heat BULB, the mat is for when the bulb goes off at night, the mat is on 24/7 and they are both on the same side of the viv.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
For a BRB you'd have the ceramic on 24/7 anyway so i wouldn't bother with a mat. Maybe for a non-tropical species that need a night time drop you could have a mat as well just for the night time, but in your case just go for the ceramic.

As already said a pulse stat is best for ceramics, but you can also use dimming stats.

I wouldn't ever bother getting a twin stat - it's basically just a double mat stat (on/off type) with a higher power capability that you'd probably never need. Two mat stats would be around the same price, or cheaper, anyway.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey peeps ,

Thank you all for the advice, tis greatly appriciated . I have decided to go with the Dimmer Stat . I like the way it works . Prob' use it in conjuction with a Pearlco 60 W IR Ceramic Heat Lamp . I think 100w would possibly be overkill in a 3 'x18"x18" . As the viv will be housed in main livingroom it has a good ambient temp' . This viv will also be stacked upon similar viv.

Can get good deal on Pearlco IR's so gonna get two ( one for backup )

Think thats all the base's covered now . Typically ...when I went to get the contiboard ...they did not have the beech I wanted , coming over the weekend . Ah well . Lets me get the Heat stuff ordered .

Thanks again peeps

Take care

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi, I thought dimming stats were only used with light emitting heat sources, and ceramics don't emit light(well, not visible anyway)? Please forgive me if I've got it wrong, but I'm looking at the same kind of heating scenario, so please tell me if I have!!!!

Also, I'm thinking of a heat mat/ceramic combo, and my thinking was to possibly buy a smallish mat (probs a 12x"12" for a 4x2x2 viv), leave it on un-statted 24/7 and count on the statted ceramic to cut out when the heat from the mat/ceramic combo reached the desired temp, and then to kick back in if the temp dropped?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You can use a dimming stat with anything, as long as it's above the min power rating for the stat.

Personally I wouldn't use a mat without a stat - they can reach temps of well over 100f on the surface and even under a false floor could make the warm spot too warm causing the snake to avoid it.

When using a ceramic I reckon it's best to have the probe a bit above floor level, say 3" - 4" for smaller snakes. If the probe is on the floor the snake can easily cover it with it's body and so shield it from the ceramic, causing the temp to rise unnecessarily. (Obviously it's the other way around for mats - the probe needs to be as near as possible to the mat's surface so it's properly controlled.)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup Marks correct there , 40 w is the minimum load for the Dimmer Stats...so can be used .

Deff DONT use a heat mat un - stated ..

Take care

·
Registered
126 Posts
Fair enuff - that's me told then!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry if that came over strong Bud...not meant to . just dont want your pride an joy getting burnt . looks like you and me on the same road here regards new viv !

Take care

1 - 15 of 15 Posts