Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there im just new to the site, ive just got myself a beardie set up, with male and female, but the guy said he thinks the female might be pregnant?, she seems to have lost ALOT of weight as she has loads of loose skin, is there any advice you could give me ??

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
You'll be getting an awful lot of posters telling you to separate them, myself included. They are solitary animals and do not want, need nor always tolerate company, and there is only one thing on the male's mind: sex, and he won't stop pestering the female until he gets it, which can stress them both out.
If the female is losing a lot of weight, I would consider getting faecals done. But what is probably more likely, is that the male has been out-competing with her for the food.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You'll be getting an awful lot of posters telling you to separate them, myself included. They are solitary animals and do not want, need nor always tolerate company, and there is only one thing on the male's mind: sex, and he won't stop pestering the female until he gets it, which can stress them both out.
If the female is losing a lot of weight, I would consider getting faecals done. But what is probably more likely, is that the male has been out-competing with her for the food.
:no1:

·
Registered
597 Posts
hi there im just new to the site, ive just got myself a beardie set up, with male and female, but the guy said he thinks the female might be pregnant?, she seems to have lost ALOT of weight as she has loads of loose skin, is there any advice you could give me ??
Have you weighed her recently? How much is 'ALOT'?
You need them separated.
What is the set up like?
Do you have pictures of them?
Is the female scratching/trying to dig?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i only just got the bearde dragons last nite, so im not sure how they have been with each other previously, but i do know they havent ate since i got them yesterday morning and the female is half the size of the male in weight, the female is not digging but the male does seem very protective of her

i must admit i dont have much experience with beardies because its snakes that ive always had, thats the reason that i need advice lol,

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
i only just got the bearde dragons last nite, so im not sure how they have been with each other previously, but i do know they havent ate since i got them yesterday morning and the female is half the size of the male in weight, the female is not digging but the male does seem very protective of her
With such a substantial size/weight difference I would strongly advise splitting them up. The male is very likely to be out-competing her, and may have been doing for some time.
How old are they both? How many clutches has the female had, do you know? Because she may be deserving of a very, very, very long break from the male.

The not eating at this moment in time then I wouldn't worry about - reptiles go through a degree of relocation stress which can depress appetite for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
A small female who appears to be gravid with a large male :gasp:

They havnt eaten because they are stressed, from the move and being put in together, seperate them.. what size is your vivarium?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
i only just got the bearde dragons last nite, so im not sure how they have been with each other previously,
You got them from two different places? so they have never been together before... Why have they not been quarantined? They can pass infections, parasites etc to each other, you have not had them long enough to determine that they are both free from nasties.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
You got them from two different places? so they have never been together before... Why have they not been quarantined? They can pass infections, parasites etc to each other, you have not had them long enough to determine that they are both free from nasties.
I think he means he only got them both last night, from the previous owner... so he didn't know how they had behaved before coming into his care... by the sounds of it the two beardies have been living together in the same setup beforehand! ;)

·
Registered
597 Posts

i must admit i dont have much experience with beardies because its snakes that ive always had, thats the reason that i need advice lol,
Maybe you should of researched them before getting them. You would of realized a male and a female kept together wasn't a good combination.

What you perceive as 'protective' of her, is more than likely the complete opposite.

Pictures/descriptions of the set up would give people an idea of the sort of things you need to do (besides splitting them up asap).

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have a male and female together, and they get along great. But i think it really depends on the temperments of the beardies themselves (my male is to lazy to chase the female around all day so he doesn't cause her any bother) so you need to decide whether they seem happy together. You should keep a really close eye on them to make sure she is not to stressed by him as it will be unfair on her. The fact that the female is so much smaller than the male is worrying so a picture of them would be good to see just how much smaller she is!
If you really want to keep them together, take her out at mealtimes and feed her seperately to make sure she is eating enough food. It sounds more like she has just laid a clutch if she has a lot of loose skin, and if thats correct she may be getting ready to lay again so make sure she gets lots of calcium just incase. Taking her to a vet is always a good idea too, just to be on the safe side! :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
First of all, for those that have mentioned things like quarantine etc, he got these together who were already in the same setup. Everybody else has already mentioned beardies in the wild are solitary and only come together during breeding season - they do not need, nor require company and ideally should be housed seperately. If you have an under sized female with an adult female - this is going to be blunt but by keeping them together you could and more than likely will end up killing her. The male will want to breed constantly and this will take it out of your female. I would increase the calcium intake if you are going to keep them together and not split as she will need all shee can to help calcify the eggs.

In regards to the loose skin, this could be due to just laying, dehydration or other things.

As requested, would be good to get a pic of the 2 dragons in question to see the exact size difference

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i do realise that i should have done some research before i got them, yes they have been kept together since babies and are now about 2 years old, as far as i know the female has had 3 clutches before, my tank is a 4ft wooden viv wich they have also always been in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks very much rogerthealien and fido i will put some pics on in the next couple of days, i dont currently have another setup in order to split them up, although i am trying to find another one

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
so there probably related then as well as the female being just sick, bullied, stressed and depressed.

get them separated sooner rather than later, it will be better for them in the long run.

I too have kept breeding pairs together but only some, some i have kept separate as they don't want / like / tolerate company and these i always keep apart.

the fact he so much bigger proves she is not happy. Are you absolutely sure its male and female? not that it matters much just I have heard of people buying pairs from young and they both turn out to be the same sex, cos one is lager and more dominant doesn't mean its male

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have now put on two pics of my set up and a pic of the two beardies the female is at the left, its not the best pic of her but her body is very flat and she is very skinny compared to the male

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
We could sit here all night and flame you for not having researched, but to be honest your on here now, asking for advice. The best thing you can do now is to listen to the advice given and take it all on board.. this is where your research begins.

The fact that the female is half the size of the male is likely due to the stress being put on her, I had a cohabiting tank a while back and one dragon grew while the stressed one did not.. or hardly grew.

As you have no bearded dragon experience I would seperate them now to avoid her becoming gravid, this is not something you want to deal with before you've learnt about the pet your keeping as gravid dragons need a lot more care and attention than one who is not

And Rogerthelien .... persuading him to keep them together after she has already laid four clutches is not a good idea:banghead:

Reactions: Ophexis

·
Registered
993 Posts
And Rogerthelien .... persuading him to keep them together after she has already laid four clutches is not a good idea:banghead:

I wasn't trying to persuade him to keep them together, i was only trying to offer an alternative view as everyone seemed to be very quick to judge. I know that keeping males and females together is VERY specific to the animals involved, and that the females welfare has to come first.. i was just trying to point out that, if the animals get along well then there is no reason to act rashly and split them up unless being with the male is the thing affecting her health.

Plus just wanted to add that, removing her now on the basis of not wanting a gravid female wont make to much difference as she will continue to lay clutches with any sperm she has retained.. I do agree that an inexperianced owner should not attempt to breed her or anything, but i am trying to be a bit more understanding as Graham1988 was only asking for help, its not his fault the previous owner put them together..

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
To be honest, the female does not look in that bad a shape - if you look at the heads, there pretty similar in size but she could do with putting on some pud, and i would seperate them sooner rather than later : victory:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.