Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Hi Im new to this forum and would love some advice, I have a corn snake and Im taking on a rat snake that was a rescue a friend took on and been warned he can be nippy and bite.how do I go about winning him round without getting bite all the time ? any advice would be great and very welcome. I have patience and time and determined to win the snakes confidence I would just love any tips you might have for me.
Thank you.:)

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
From dealing with my rat snakes... move slow, move gentle, and if you're nervous, use something like a hook to get the snake out of the cage - most snakes do settle a bit when they're out of their cage, and if you're nervous to pick up the snake, they can smell it and feel it in how you touch them. That'll make THEM nervous.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
What type of Ratsnake is it? And how old?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

I have been told by the present owner your at most risk at feed time it will strike at you .So Im going to use tongues to play safe and then slow movements and try to build it from there.I have read mixed advice on this are they more territorial than corn snakes ? or the same ? I believe hes about I say "he" not sure is about 5 years old. I think I will just have to concerntrate when dealing with him. How long would you leave him before feeding once he arrives and do you think best give him a few days before trying to handle him or not ?
so calm is the key ? will try my best
Im not sure what type yet not seen him I get him monday.
thanks

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Id let him settle in for a couple of weeks before attempting to handle him. Feed him a week after you get him, and just change his water etc etc etc and leave him be.

After a couple of weeks you could start to handle him. To be honest, if it is snappy, your are going to get bitten, but it really doesn't hurt.

Just try and be calm when you go to handle him.

Edit: just seen your new post. Ok, thats fine, its just that some species tend to stay aggressive no matter how much effort you put in.

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
Personally I would never use a snake hook on a rat snake. I would also not be taking one on unless I knew what it was and had done research into how to look after it.

There are over 60 species of rat snake all with different requirements... please please please find out what it is and have a suitable environment set up BEFORE you get it !!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Well said. I didn't see the comment about the hook, I don't use one, they don't work with such fast snakes. I do however use a hook with my Anaconda, as he is much slower generally, and a heavier bodied snake. But it may work with some people.

And I also agree, you really should look into what type of Ratsnake it is, as there is an awful lot of difference between the different species. I would imagine it would be one of the North American Rats, as these seem to be the ones that get rehomed a lot, but it could be anything. Not only do you need to find out because of environmental issues, but temperament wise, as I have already said, some generally do not calm down, others will calm with time, but you really need to find out as soon as possible so you can get a viv set up and running.

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
LOL. A snake hook with a rat snake would just be something new to climb.

Agreed, it is probably an obsoleta but I have not come across one that 'usually bites at feeding time' they are usually more interested in the food and are damn good shots. They usually go for biting you when you get them out.

Feeding response wise, I would guess at a Taiwanese or maybe a Radiated, with food around these both become different animals with food around ( which I dont need to mention with blues :D )

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I had a Black Rat that bit at feeding time...Come to think of it, it bit all the time :lol: But I get where you are coming from.

Yes, indeed they do become completely different! My Radiated usually goes even more mental. She is a complete nutcase, but tbh I wouldn't expect anything else :D My Blues are quite shy, takes a bit of time and a lot of patience to feed them.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I do use them properly, but I find they don't work for me. As I said, it may work for other people. I just find it easier to use my hands.

EDIT: I am cack handed, cant even use a knife and fork properly, so a stick with a hook on the end has no chance. I can only use them with my conda because he has considerably more bulk, and that steadies my hands.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
With the greatest of respect, if it doesnt work for you then it isn't being used properly.
I used to have the same problem, and i still hate using hooks with a passion. Practice is the key though, once you get used to the feel of it then you hold it more fluidly and work with it properly - as an extension of your own arm.

I wasn't trying to be offensive with my post, sorry if you took it that way.

Mambas and boomslangs are FAST snakes yet they can be dealt with using hooks.

Again, sorry if i offended anyone

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
No lol, you didn't offend me, I just can't use them, I never have since I got them with any of my snakes.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Yes, definitely. I can use them with relative ease on heavy bodied snakes, but its just with slender snakes that don't have too much bulk, I cant control it too well. Plus I prefer to use my hands as I can control my movements better, and I have nothing that will kill me so thats fine, I'll stick with that methinks :lol:

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
You're not using it properly then.
Mambas and boomslangs are FAST snakes yet they can be dealt with using hooks.

Again, sorry if i offended anyone

No offence taken here. Rat snakes are extremely strong bodied animals and excellent climbers, you spend more time stopping them climbing up a hook or anything else you care to get them out with, with little or no benefit. Rat snakes are harmless after all.

Just my opinion. To be listened to or ignored :)

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
i used to use a hook with my monster black rat, he was vicious, touch the viv glass and he was up in a high "s", flattened neck, open mouthed and hissing like a good un. I used to just hook the centre part of body out to grab hold of it and drag him out that way, then he was as soft as a pussy cat with no blood spilled ans all the teeth still in the snakes mouth and not stuck in my arm:lol2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Habitat

Its all coming with him so know thats right, its a friend of mine thats having to give him up (long story but moving where pets arnt allowed) So Shes asked me to have him.She knows I dont give up and been bite by alot of things including ferrets as into rescue work.But snakes Im still learning and want to do everything right for the snakes sake.
A hook thats the pole thing I see used well never tried using one my corn was nippy at the start then calmed so never had need. Im just wondering if there are ways you can relax a snake and make it understand your no threat thats my goal.Its mainly bite at feed time so Im thinking it was strike feeding to fast for the owner hence getting them so I may be able to prevent that happening.
Thanks for the tips so let it settle then feed after a week and then start trying to handle it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts