Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i have about a 9 month old male beardie. hes been hiding away a lot and not eating, assumed it was due to a change in substrate, so changed it back, made differenc at firts but back to being the way he was, sleepin hidin in cold end ec.

I took him to the vets after several weeks of not a lot of eating, not much movement,, no toilet etc. Physically he said in great condition, so gave antibiotics as it was liley to be an infection ( he was unable to check for parasites).

I seemed to work, but hes gone back to being the same way again, have a sample of poo for vet to check wen i go back, and basically was wanting advice on if any of you have any tips for me?

i may go for a bigger vivarium perhaps, and was thinkin if company may help him?

also what about feedin water by syringe? i did it once or twice and he pooed, so it worked, but your adivce?

he seems to be eatin waxworms, not much else though.

any advice would be great,

temps are 110 - to about 80,

length is 4 foot, hight just over 1 foot, and width about a foot, he comes out quite often for exercise, and when out hes vey alert andlively, just in his viv hes not.

thanks for any advice given :)

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Get him into a proper-sized viv; at 9 months he's likely to have outgrown a 4' x 1', and will need a 4' x 2' or larger.

Stop feeding him waxworms - if he knows you will give him waxworms, he won't eat anything else. If there is something wrong with him, he needs to be on a decent diet to enable him to recover. You wouldn't heal a sick person just by feeding them mars bars.

I doubt company would do much for him - it would be irresponsible to put another beardie in with him before you've found out why he's behaving like he is.

What UV tube are you using, how far from him is it, and how old? Do you heat the cage with ceramics or proper lightbulbs? As Durhamchance asked, what were the substrates that you tried? Have you got any photos of the setup? It's often easier to identify obvious problems from a photo than from descriptions...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i used corn before, then changed to sand but hes back on corn.

the uv bulb is fairly new, and will try and get some pictures up soon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Aw, poor beardie. I hope he is ok, and nothing too serious is wrong with him.

Company would probably make him worse. If he is weak and sick, then another beardie would probably take advantage and bully him.

If he isn't pooing regularly then try giving him a warm bath. It usually helps, so i've seen and heard.

And waxworms aren't a thing you want your beardie to be eating all the time. They are very high in fat and your beardie will love them so much he will go off his other food and more than likely get fat.

Other than that, everything, such as temps and lighting, sound ok to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts