Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a built in cupboard in a bedroom that i want to turn into a viv for a beardie. The cupboard measures 32 inches wide by 35 deep and 62 high. It is plasterboard inside (painted white) and my plan is to remove the door and replace it with sliding glass doors.
What would i need to do to the inside to make it suitable and what equipment would i need to make the beardie feel at home (lights,heat etc) and where would be best positions to place them in a enclosure of this size ?
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It should be ok for one or 2 beardies but judging by the hieght I think it migt be better fo a climbing gecko of some sort... maybe a day gecko or two...
But everthing else shoud be ok judging by the size.

·
Registered
484 Posts
60+ high? this is a waste for beadies imo, maybe divide into 2 or even 3 vivs? still leaves a good high viv which can have shelfs in for extra floor space. as for the plaster board i think you would have to seal it or something? not to sure.. heat and lights are easy, ceramic/bulb down one end (with a gaurd;)) controlled with a stat and uv light mounted on back wall. you would probably need to make a plinth for the glass runners to sit on but then its just a case of ordering glass to fit, you would need to contact a local supplier for that. then add substrate, few branches and beardies and hey presto:p

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
i did that once. busted out the back and attached acrylic. instant python cage with doors.

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
I have a built in cupboard in a bedroom that i want to turn into a viv for a beardie. The cupboard measures 32 inches wide by 35 deep and 62 high. It is plasterboard inside (painted white) and my plan is to remove the door and replace it with sliding glass doors.
What would i need to do to the inside to make it suitable and what equipment would i need to make the beardie feel at home (lights,heat etc) and where would be best positions to place them in a enclosure of this size ?
thanks in advance.
You'll need to line it with plywood or something to stop them digging out the plasterboard.

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
what's plasterboard?...drywall? my cabinets were wood. sorry, don't mean to dip!:blush:

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
what's plasterboard?...drywall? my cabinets were wood. sorry, don't mean to dip!:blush:
Yeah plasterboard is drywall Habu.

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
oh! your screwed... what can you do with gypsum? i thought it was a wooden cabinet...they are excellent!!! big rear doors and a max veiwing area!!!........i'll...scamper away now! :lol2:

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
are you sure its plasterboard? seems a bit strange that a wardrobe was built using plasterboard.

sure its not hardboard (fibreboard)? that's the most commonly used backing for a wardrobe. Plasterboard is usually found on walls.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
"I have a built in cupboard in a bedroom"

The plasterwork will be a problem because it will be difficult to make it dampproof. You don't want water going down the back of the cupboard into the plaster. You could line the cupboard with ply or mdf but it'll still be difficult to seal - but not impossible.
You'll need to build in the electrics too, dangling wires will look awful. Not sure what electrics you need. spotlamp and UV?
As someone else said you could easily split it into a couple or three vivs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes its definately plasterboard. Its part of the house, not a freestanding wardrobe. think lining it with wood will be the best solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts