Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t been here for a while, but as when I used to be a regular I was praised for my naturalistic and aesthetically pleasing setups for my T’s, I thought I might do some tutorials. So, the first one I’m doing is Basic Terrestrial, suitable for species such as G. Rosea and B. Smithi.

You will need:

A suitable tank (I’m using a large flat ExoTerra), substrate, cork bark, a water bowl and (optionally) a few bits of fake plant.

To start off, add your substrate. I’m using two-parts coir to one-part bark chippings (NOT cedar or pine, as it is toxic to T’s). As I’m doing this for a G. Rosea, everything is completely dry as they don’t like wet substrate. Mix up your substrate(s) if needed and you should have something similar to this:

First feature we will add is the burrow. About one third down from the end of the tank (If you are using a heat mat, make sure it is on this end) and dig a pit down so there is only a small scraping of substrate on the bottom, like so:

Position your cork bark on this at a slight angle, to give the burrow a mouth:

Next, using all your excess substrate from when you dug the pit for the burrow, bury the cork bark so just the entrance is showing. This gives it the appearance of a tunnel going into the ground:

This is your burrow done! Now in the end furthest from the heat mat (If you’re using one) dig a hole in the corner down to the bottom of the tank like so:

Add your water bowl into it.

Add the excess substrate right up to the edges of the bowl so it looks like a rocky pit and your basic setup is done:

Finally, add your T to the enclosure.

As you can see, I’ve added those extra fake plants to the tank for a bit of embellishment. I’ve overflowed the water bowl slightly as that is all this species needs in the way of humidity. You don’t need to follow these guidelines rigidly but I hope it serves as more of an inspiration to you for your enclosures. Pretty soon my dad’s B. Smithi will need a bigger tank so when that happens I’ll make the next tutorial, Advanced Terrestrial. I hope you enjoyed and please leave feedback!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Looks excellent to me, and it's a very similar set-up to the ones I use for my adult Chilean Roses.

Out of interest, what sort of bark chippings do you use, where do you get them from, and what list of species would you recommend for a set-up like this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks excellent to me, and it's a very similar set-up to the ones I use for my adult Chilean Roses.

Out of interest, what sort of bark chippings do you use, where do you get them from, and what list of species would you recommend for a set-up like this?

Thanks in advance.
Orchid Bark is the only non-toxic bark, so I use that. The slab is cork bark. As for species, any terrestrial that have low requirements (Grammostola sp., Brachypelma sp., etc.)
thanks, it looks great...
tomorow i will revamp my G. Roseas enclosure!
Good to know I inspired someone :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Orchid Bark is the only non-toxic bark, so I use that. The slab is cork bark. As for species, any terrestrial that have low requirements (Grammostola sp., Brachypelma sp., etc.)

Good to know I inspired someone :2thumb:
You got me too - time to spice up the smithii's tank!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts