Reptile Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have a pair that have been good as gold, in all honesty.

My male, I've had for about two and a half years, he's now around 8ft and never given me any grief. Can be a bit flighty now and again though.

My female I've only had for just over a year, she's around eleven feet, but she's actually very calm.

So they do exist.

In saying that, I wouldn't get complacent with them, just in case.
You my friend....have the tamest afrock i know!!

did you rename her or is she still called poppy?

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Answering your question directly: yes, i do have an afrock and, yes, she is the tamest snake i've ever known to exist! Not only that, but she's probably the largest captive afrock you'll ever get a chance to see and so, combining size with reputation, she would probably scare the Hell out of you and therefore be the LAST snake on Earth you would ever want to hold. Wrong! She was raised with care and patiente and today i'm proud to say that she's priceless :)
jimmy mate you seriously need to put some pics up with you handling her over your shoulder so we can see how big she is as she is stunning:2thumb:shes definately the biggest rock on rfuk

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
ive got an afrock named artemis and she has never even botherd to attack me she is so nice and she is my second snake ever. gonna be getting a male afrock baby soon from strictly exotics they tell me there agressive babys but that just encourages me to buy one even more lol it will be rewarding when they are tame. i hope my artemis will get as big as jimmys

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
She's still called Poppy, she's one of the very few that have a proper name here.
Most of them just get named Mr or Mrs [insert species common name here], really. Haha
let me know if you ever get rid of her as i miss her a great deal:blush:, i am trying to buy a house at the moment, jst need to find somewhere:no1:

·
Registered
322 Posts
jimmy mate you seriously need to put some pics up with you handling her over your shoulder so we can see how big she is as she is stunning:2thumb:shes definately the biggest rock on rfuk
Yup, she's due for a pic of that sort, my friend! But, damn, she is so heavy :D
Did you see her pics on the "naming her" post, Steve? Those are more recent and i hadn't post them here yet.

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Yup, she's due for a pic of that sort, my friend! But, damn, she is so heavy :D
Did you see her pics on the "naming her" post, Steve? Those are more recent and i hadn't post them here yet.
shes looking good i just saw those pics but you shouldn,t struggle to lift her shes not that heavy mate

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a male afrock and he's nearly 1 year old he's hissy and if you do something to upset him he strikes like my friend not believe how funny he can be popped up in his face and he went to strike but he's never bitten but then I know some one with an adult afrock thats always been relaxed and very tame and it bite her the other day they have a naturally aggressive temperament they can be rather tame but you do have to be careful cause like happened to the person I know they can snap

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not that I'm afraid of a big snake biting my arm, I'm afraid of being constricted by mistake!
Strange sentence. Big snakes leave nasty bites. besides its a pain in the bum to go to the A&E, wait for hours to get some stiches put in and have to explain to all the nurses etc why your such a prat for getting bitten by a big snake. I prefer not to get bitten (or constricted for that matter).

some rocks will never tame whereas some will calm down,its down to individuals much like other snakes but rocks on percentage are more likely to be aggressive than the other giants in my experience,put it this way i was struck at by 13 out of 14 big adults lol but you have to wonder if many captive generations would calm them down like its done for many retics
+1

Of the 15 or so P. sebae I work with there is only one that I would call soft, and she is also by far the biggest, though not really big (bigger than in that photo anyway). We have a hatchling too who is very cool at the moment and I'm hoping he will stay that way.

·
Registered
322 Posts
shes looking good i just saw those pics but you shouldn,t struggle to lift her shes not that heavy mate
Funny thing i've found out about afrocks, after many years of keeping large snakes (retics, burms, boas, anacondas) is that the afrock is the heaviest of them all, considering similar sizes. I guess they have a more compact muscle density. I have a burm about the same length and built as the afrock, but not even close to the same weight (i can tell just by handling them). It's impressive, Steve. Believe me. If you ever visit Portugal, you're invited to stop over and check for yourself ;)

But i'll post more pics soon, anyway. I promise.
So, do you have a cool name for her, Steve? :)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Funny thing i've found out about afrocks, after many years of keeping large snakes (retics, burms, boas, anacondas) is that the afrock is the heaviest of them all, considering similar sizes. I guess they have a more compact muscle density. I have a burm about the same length and built as the afrock, but not even close to the same weight (i can tell just by handling them). It's impressive, Steve. Believe me. If you ever visit Portugal, you're invited to stop over and check for yourself ;)

Lady - because they always wear "A Frock"

·
Registered
11,783 Posts

ive dealt with a very chunky near 16ft rock mate that used to belong to kingsley young and she was larger than yours mate with a monstrous head,she was on display for many years and weighed 63kg when she was last weighed which puts her nearly as heavy as my longest tiger but at a much shorter length, she was overweight though,an anaconda of the same length and girth would weigh more though mate,ive owned 14 large adult rocks myself and i do agree they are a compact muscular snake though

·
Registered
11,783 Posts

are you on facebook jimmy as ive put up a video of tiny roaming around in my hallway

·
Registered
322 Posts
ive dealt with a very chunky near 16ft rock mate that used to belong to kingsley young and she was larger than yours mate with a monstrous head,she was on display for many years and weighed 63kg when she was last weighed which puts her nearly as heavy as my longest tiger but at a much shorter length, she was overweight though,an anaconda of the same length and girth would weigh more though mate,ive owned 14 large adult rocks myself and i do agree they are a compact muscular snake though
Wow! That does seem like a very unusual size for a rock, almost record setting, i would say. Must have been a sight to behold! Indeed, on top of them being heavy bodied by nature, i guess they differ from individual to individual - just like humans - and so the truth about my rock in particular is that she was always very very heavy, way more than one would judge from her bulk. And she feels iron hard when you press her skin, incredibly dense and massive. If you pay atention to her photos, even when relaxed on the ground she never really flattens, she always remains steady tall.

Ps: Steve, i'll send you a link to my Facebook. But i don't dedicate it too much to my herp world. I use it mostly just to keep in touch with a few friends and that's it.

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Wow! That does seem like a very unusual size for a rock, almost record setting, i would say. Must have been a sight to behold! Indeed, on top of them being heavy bodied by nature, i guess they differ from individual to individual - just like humans - and so the truth about my rock in particular is that she was always very very heavy, way more than one would judge from her bulk. And she feels iron hard when you press her skin, incredibly dense and massive. If you pay atention to her photos, even when relaxed on the ground she never really flattens, she always remains steady tall.

Ps: Steve, i'll send you a link to my Facebook. But i don't dedicate it too much to my herp world. I use it mostly just to keep in touch with a few friends and that's it.
in the 1980,s and 1990,s there were quite a few large rock pythons in the uk,i knew of 2 just under 16ft but one was much heavier than the other,i used to have a rock myself that was 14ft,sadly in the uk they have lost popularity but more recently people are opting for them again so we will likely see some more big adults in years to come,martyn gaye over here used to have 2 x 15ft+ rock pythons and a 20ft retic but sadly hes no longer with us and neither are the snakes,maureen collison did have some photos but she doesn,t really come on here anymore

21 - 37 of 37 Posts