Reptile Forums banner

Afrocks are angry!

Tags
afrock
3K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  steve d 
#1 ·
I saw a Afrock earlier at my local rep shop, It was in a RUB on the floor so I assume they'd just bought it or were just moving it into the shop, but when he Opened the lid that thing was P:censor::censor::censor::censor:d! Hissing and generally being angry, I see where they get their reputation now!
Anyone got a Afrock that isn't aggressive?
they're lovely looking snakes!

#4 ·
Poor snake :(

Seconding the request for info on calm Afrocks, I'd consider getting an Afrock once I've got my tiny tics and can reliably do heavy lifting if you can have calm ones. Not that I'm afraid of a big snake biting my arm, I'm afraid of being constricted by mistake!

#5 ·
I don't think I'd ever get one, I was just interested!
They are way to aggressive for me!

If you are talking about the same shop I was at earlier, the poor critter was brought to the shop as it had been dumped on someone's door step - I was there when it got brought in. You're right though, it was an aggressive fella.
Ah I'm guessing so then, they're only 2 rep shops in Bristol as far as I'm aware and I think their owned by the same guy? it was The one in Hengrove though?:2thumb:
it's a nice, good shop!:2thumb:
Atleast the snake's in good hands now!

#11 ·
ive got 2, male and female, they both tolerate any amount of handling.
funnily enough they were both rescues. the female was only 1 foot when i got her 2 months ago, she was striking none stop and so skinny, after a week she was eating and never bit once. now shes 4 foot and very very nice!
my male is around 4 foot, he was a rescue from a friend of mine, also very nice. they dont deserve theyre reputation.

#14 ·
I have a pair that have been good as gold, in all honesty.

My male, I've had for about two and a half years, he's now around 8ft and never given me any grief. Can be a bit flighty now and again though.

My female I've only had for just over a year, she's around eleven feet, but she's actually very calm.

So they do exist.

In saying that, I wouldn't get complacent with them, just in case.

#16 ·
some rocks will never tame whereas some will calm down,its down to individuals much like other snakes but rocks on percentage are more likely to be aggressive than the other giants in my experience,put it this way i was struck at by 13 out of 14 big adults lol but you have to wonder if many captive generations would calm them down like its done for many retics

#18 ·
some rocks will never tame whereas some will calm down,its down to individuals much like other snakes but rocks on percentage are more likely to be aggressive than the other giants in my experience,put it this way i was struck at by 13 out of 14 big adults lol but you have to wonder if many captive generations would calm them down like its done for many retics
Must be the 'Lynx' effect! try 'Old Spice'

Reactions: steve d
#20 ·
Answering your question directly: yes, i do have an afrock and, yes, she is the tamest snake i've ever known to exist! Not only that, but she's probably the largest captive afrock you'll ever get a chance to see and so, combining size with reputation, she would probably scare the Hell out of you and therefore be the LAST snake on Earth you would ever want to hold. Wrong! She was raised with care and patiente and today i'm proud to say that she's priceless :)

#25 ·
ive got an afrock named artemis and she has never even botherd to attack me she is so nice and she is my second snake ever. gonna be getting a male afrock baby soon from strictly exotics they tell me there agressive babys but that just encourages me to buy one even more lol it will be rewarding when they are tame. i hope my artemis will get as big as jimmys

#29 ·
I have a male afrock and he's nearly 1 year old he's hissy and if you do something to upset him he strikes like my friend not believe how funny he can be popped up in his face and he went to strike but he's never bitten but then I know some one with an adult afrock thats always been relaxed and very tame and it bite her the other day they have a naturally aggressive temperament they can be rather tame but you do have to be careful cause like happened to the person I know they can snap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.