Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here keep afrocks?? What do you make of them as large snakes go? At anyone considering rearing them from babies, are they recommended or ill advised? From what i've read online the websites make them sound vicious and not recommended as pets. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Does anyone here keep afrocks?? What do you make of them as large snakes go? At anyone considering rearing them from babies, are they recommended or ill advised? From what i've read online the websites make them sound vicious and not recommended as pets. Any thoughts?
I've read exactly the same. There's a lot of people on here who have kept all of the big snakes and the one they almost always say to avoid is afrocks. On the other hand im sure a few afrock keepers will be along to say otherwise!

·
Registered
21,592 Posts
Definitely a snake only for experienced keepers. The thing with afrocks is that although you can 'tame' one down, it's not true for every afrock. Some will tame down some will remain nervous and therefore very defensive so you need to be prepared for that when considering getting one. A large, strong pissed off snake that's hissing at you can be pretty intimidating, and can do a lot of damage. My OH used to keep a pair and although he got one of them pretty tame, when he had to treat her for something she must've felt restrained and attacked and she went back to her nervous, agressive nature. She remained that way until we gave her up to a zoo.

Very delicate snakes in terms of 'trusting' you.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Definitely a snake only for experienced keepers. The thing with afrocks is that although you can 'tame' one down, it's not true for every afrock. Some will tame down some will remain nervous and therefore very defensive so you need to be prepared for that when considering getting one. A large, strong pissed off snake that's hissing at you can be pretty intimidating, and can do a lot of damage. My OH used to keep a pair and although he got one of them pretty tame, when he had to treat her for something she must've felt restrained and attacked and she went back to her nervous, agressive nature. She remained that way until we gave her up to a zoo.

Very much agree, if you want a snake that you can be fairly relaxed around while handling an afrock is not for you.

Steve

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

·
Registered
8,125 Posts

^^^ what kat says :) i also had the honour of raising some youngens and a very large female and they are an extremely nervous species that cannot be trusted one bit as it takes so little to spook them defiantly a snake best left to people who have experience and time and people who understand that they are more of a hands of giants snake in a lot of cases. i would of loved to of kept mine but it's not fair on my oh to work with them on here own if i am at work as they are extremely powerful combined which what i described.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts