Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I be the only one who thinks the breeding if reptiles is out of control?
I think
People should have a liscence. I have a crested gecko and I love him as a pet, not just for his breeding potential. Is there anyone out there left who wants a lizard for his cuteness and personality , as a pet? Not for breeding asnhenis a good morph etc? It seems like if they are not ooo high contrast or
EXTReME this or the other noone wants them.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I think it is way out of control in certain species...especially beardies as they are a rather large lizard to be breeding so easily!

But to be honest i think my plain cresties are as charming as my pinners... though my red dalmation is my fave cos he is red and black...just like everything in life should be! lol

I do have all my pets because of cuteness...thats why i bought them, but i dont think people should buy animals JUST to breed them for money... you see it all the time on here!

first post

'I have recently really gotten into reptiles and I really want something to breed which will make me lots of money...any suggestions'

This is just stupid...

I jot my first reptile around 8 years ago and thats me just getting round to breeding something now! And its so i can have more cresties...for me mainly!

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Agree, I own my lizards for their cuteness and if they have babies then its a plus.. although I am tempted to breed some cresties but I'll probably keep all the babies :lol2:

I think beardies are over bred, people can't even seem to give them away!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I agree there are far too many doing it for the wrong reasons. We breed Cresties purely as a hobby in small numbers.
We also have Leo's, Corns, Royals that we don't breed.

I think the problem is more serious in the domestic animal world like dogs and cats though.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Can I be the only one who thinks the breeding if reptiles is out of control?
I think
People should have a liscence. I have a crested gecko and I love him as a pet, not just for his breeding potential. Is there anyone out there left who wants a lizard for his cuteness and personality , as a pet? Not for breeding asnhenis a good morph etc? It seems like if they are not ooo high contrast or
EXTReME this or the other noone wants them.
i do not agree with the licence bit. but i do agree with breeding has gone out of control. but most people do it for the fun and loving of these animals, not for money purposes. and there are alot of people like this so therefore its bound to go out of control.

i think the only problem with reptiles these days is prices. so many uneducated people can get these for next to nothing. they are far too cheap.

ie. in my local they have a juvie (6month) old iguana for £59.99, and some people moan about the price, but imo its not about the price, aslong as its in good health then its worth anything. also i think that iguanas should be this so it stops the uneducated make impulse buys ect.

also i breed leopard geckos, and i do it mainly for the fun and as a hobby, but yes i do want to try and earn a little bit of money from it, but i do not treat my geckos as a buisness, i treat them all as individual pets.

Kind regards,
Brad

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I think the problem is more serious in the domestic animal world like dogs and cats though.
esp mongrels

I know genetically they are stronger/healthier etc, but people just do not know what they are getting...

most purebred cats find a home, as they are what people want, but seriously how many peoples cats have kittens that end up going to 'someone at work'?

most pedigree dogs also get sold, as breeders do not breed more than the demand is, because lets face it feeding a dog can be expensive.

why dont more people just get non breeding animals neutered, becuase at the end of the day, non nutered animals can breed when not wanted...and can also lead to health problems later in life... phantom pregnancies etc and cancers!

If you go to the pound and have a look, there are not a lot of pedigree dogs or cats in there... and this is because of irresponsible breeding by people who do not know what they are doing... tho at the moment the pounds are full of staffies because the chavs dont want them cos they are not hard enough!

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
I have four beautiful Leopard Geckos, two of which are "high end morphs" so to speak, I have no idea what they are, but I'll never breed them. They are much loved pets.

Same as 6 of my cresties, much loved pets, and won't be bred from.

I enjoy breeding one or two pairs, and I am looking forward to breeding a couple of rarer species to contribute to the conservation in captivity, but I 90% agree there should be a licence, and a full check of your house before you're allowed to breed.

Put a few of the morons off, and the divs that just don't give two shi*** about the animals.

Yes I know there are a lot of downs for those of us who would have to pay for the license, and many disagree, but I believe it would work wonders for the animals involved, though like anything, it could be put in place and not work at all.

You'd have to ensure everything had papers, and this would be a royal pain in the arse, so on that note, there would still be "illegal" breeding, lots of people without papers, and would this then mean more abandoned, mistreated animals?

Catch 22 in some respects...

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
What are the right reasons and wrong reasons in your opinion???
I simply meant, there are far too many money grabbing gits about thinking they can make a few pounds quickly. They soon disappear once they realise there isn't any money to be made though, unless its high end morphs or done in vast numbers.

Depends on the species as to whether there is a legitimate right reason? People breeding Beardies for example, probably haven't got a reason other than for personal enjoyment?

People breeding endangered species as part of a captive breeding programme are obviously doing it for the future of the animal.

Apart from the captive breeding programmes, there probably isn't a right reason to breed anything, but there are people who breed for all the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I posted about this on another thread earlier. The problem is made worse by the long lives of many species. This means that the market gets saturated for a very long time. If you sell a leopard gecko to someone, for example, it could be 20 years before they need another. Not everyone wants, or has room for, hundreds of reps. It's not like small pet rodents, which only live for a couple of years.

I don't like the idea of licenses, but I think they will happen. The thing that annoys me is that we will probably all end up requiring licenses, not just breeders.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
The reason for my questioning is because there is no good reason to breed reptiles in captivity... Everyone who breeds reptiles does so for selfish reasons... It is what it is... There is no difference between someone who just breeds for the money and someone who breeds for enjoyment and self gratification... As long as the reptile are respected and cared for properly, it does not really matter...

On a side note there are very few legit breeding programs for endangered reptiles and none are conducted in private collection or by reptile breeders...

I simply meant, there are far too many money grabbing gits about thinking they can make a few pounds quickly. They soon disappear once they realise there isn't any money to be made though, unless its high end morphs or done in vast numbers.

Depends on the species as to whether there is a legitimate right reason? People breeding Beardies for example, probably haven't got a reason other than for personal enjoyment?

People breeding endangered species as part of a captive breeding programme are obviously doing it for the future of the animal.

Apart from the captive breeding programmes, there probably isn't a right reason to breed anything, but there are people who breed for all the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
The reason for my questioning is because there is no good reason to breed reptiles in captivity... Everyone who breeds reptiles does so for selfish reasons... It is what it is... There is no difference between someone who just breeds for the money and someone who breeds for enjoyment and self gratification... As long as the reptile are respected and cared for properly, it does not really matter...

On a side note there are very few legit breeding programs for endangered reptiles and none are conducted in private collection or by reptile breeders...
some people proberly do but most of us on here a genuine loving owners.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
some people proberly do but most of us on here a genuine loving owners.
No, every time you breed a reptile you're doing it *because you wanted to*. That's a selfish reason - you're doing what you want to do because you want to do it.

If you breed because you love the animals and want to make more of them, you're breeding for your selfish desire to have more of them.

If you breed because you love the animals and want offspring from your beloved pets, you're breeding for your selfish desire to have that offspring.

If you breed because you want money and plan to sell the offspring, you're breeding for your selfish desire to have the money.

All of the reasons for breeding "pet" reptiles in captivity are essentially selfish.... and yeah, there are very few people who are realistically breeding reptiles for conservation and re-release.

I do think people should step back and think "Should I" more often; I think people should step back and think "Ok, I've got 40 beardie eggs, and there are a dozen or more baby beardies in each of the shops local to me, and they're not selling very fast, are there really going to be homes for ALL of these babies if I incubate ALL of these eggs?" I know what my answer would be - incubate a few if I myself wanted a baby to keep, give the rest to my tegus and Nile. Then, if I have three or four surplus, it's a lot easier to find homes for them than thirty or forty surplus.

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
hmmm breeding for the love of the animals rather than selfish reasons. Does that really ring true from someone who insists they are going to breed from non endangered reptiles despite being aware of the extremely high mortality rate for the females of this species when bred from. Just an example of one of the reasons why people are taking such a negative view of reptile breeding.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I, personally, would never breed as there are too many leos out there IMO. If a 'proper' breeder breeds, they make sure the offspring go to good homes etc. It's when rookies do it (usually for the money) and they sell to anyone ("I'm going to keep it in a Clarks shoe-box" Breeder: "Go ahead that's £10 please") and sell at stupidly low prices (and sometimes an unhealthy animal at that). I'd rather buy a leo from a person who doesn't over breed their animals and has had the species as a pet for a long time rather than just buying the species for breeding.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have 3 female leopard geckos and will probaly just breed one for the experience of it, I'll probaly end up keeping all the babies knowing me:whistling2:.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts