Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I recently got a female Ball Python. She was advertised as being a 10 months old Female Pastel (Poss Chocolate) (no exact birthdate). After buying her, I measured her out to being around 1 to 1.5 ft, and weighing 146 g.

This didn't really sit right with me, from what I had researched that would put her in the 1-4 month range. Especially since he, "Feeds her rat pups" and didn't have a good date on their birth. So, I was wondering the opinions on how old you would say this lass is. (We tried researching their page and we've gotten no clear answer, closest thing to her are unlabeled babies born 6 months ago.)

Also, if she's not too young to determine, does anyone have an idea of her morph. Her parents are told to be a Lesser/Pastel/Chocolate x Chocolate. She is told to be pastel poss choc. Thinking she's a pastel, but uncertain, mostly due to her age and the fact no pairings like that are posted on their site.

If more images are needed, feel free to let me know. She was bought from an expo, with her being the first snake having bought this young (I've always bought adults), so I was a bit unaware of what age she actually was, though it did come across as odd. She is acting very healthy and lively.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Looks like a pastel yes.

Could have been a slow feeder to get going, not all animals grow at the same rate.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Cant tell snake simply by it's length. I have three holdback form 2019 and all grew at differing rates. An approximate 3-5 months based on weight as an average.

As to morph - Pastel. To me the headstamp is too light to have chocolate in it - but then I'm no expert - but he looks like the pastel I held back form my 2019 clutch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cant tell snake simply by it's length. I have three holdback form 2019 and all grew at differing rates. An approximate 3-5 months based on weight as an average.

As to morph - Pastel. To me the headstamp is too light to have chocolate in it - but then I'm no expert - but he looks like the pastel I held back form my 2019 clutch

Ah, alright. Thank you for the help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a pastel yes.

Could have been a slow feeder to get going, not all animals grow at the same rate.
Yeah, I was thinking that too, but the breeder told me she ate well once a week. Either way, she seems quite healthy and lively.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Weight and age is probably right.
We had 3 yearlings and 1 of them was 123g. Some breeders keep them smaller as easier to keep them longer and keep them in smaller tubs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weight and age is probably right.
We had 3 yearlings and 1 of them was 123g. Some breeders keep them smaller as easier to keep them longer and keep them in smaller tubs.
Ah, I didn't know that. I thought they would feed them generally bigger meals for selling, since a lot of people like bigger snakes. Huh, never thought about it like that.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Ah, I didn't know that. I thought they would feed them generally bigger meals for selling, since a lot of people like bigger snakes. Huh, never thought about it like that.
Not all breeders do this, but more than you think.
The one I got mine from is well known too, but it’s easier for them to keep them back if they’re smaller see. They can stay in smaller rubs this way.
Should grow nicely with you!
My boy who I got at a couple months old was around that weight. So it’s quite shocking, but some breeders I suppose get to see them develop more and keep them longer to decide what to keep back, whilst still saving space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not all breeders do this, but more than you think.
The one I got mine from is well known too, but it’s easier for them to keep them back if they’re smaller see. They can stay in smaller rubs this way.
Should grow nicely with you!
My boy who I got at a couple months old was around that weight. So it’s quite shocking, but some breeders I suppose get to see them develop more and keep them longer to decide what to keep back, whilst still saving space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never thought about doing that, perhaps he was lying about how often he was feeding her and instead saying what somebody should be? Thank you for the response, really insightful.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking that too, but the breeder told me she ate well once a week. Either way, she seems quite healthy and lively.
Probably does now!
Some snakes just take a while to get the hang of eating properly (as in weekly without much fuss), it may have been one of those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts