Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, so I have no idea at all what age these guys are, I understand that there is no exact science to aging but would appreciate a rough guestimate :) there are rescue turtles so may have been undernourished and poorly kept.
Also would like to know sex if possible, thanks.

Number 1
Ruler Reptile Office ruler Art Font
Reptile Wood Ruler Terrestrial animal Claw

Number 2
Body jewelry Ruler Silver Headpiece Jewellery

Ruler Tape measure Office ruler Wood Font

·
Registered
47 Posts
they look in pretty good health, the carapaces may give more clues. captive raised ones may retain some growth rings for a while.
top one looks like a female to me, bottom one - not sure, it's not an obviously mature male but the tail looks fat at the base so maybe...
given they are about an inch long when they hatch, maybe a bit less, these are probably a few years old, but hard to say much beyond that.
i would check for shell rot at the edges of the scutes if you think they might have been badly treated,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So there was a little whitening of Dan's (the larger and possible female) shell but that didn't seem significantly worrying, so didn't bother with any vet treatments. What I did do was give them both a couple of hours under a lamp as its unlikely they have ever had the opportunity to bask (photos from then below). These were from a couple of weeks ago now and I have rearranged their tank with a wet basking area that they both seem to like with an occasional full bask area that doesn't seem to get used. They seem really happy now tbh (not that they have said or smiled or anything like that!!!) Moving around and getting excited about food... last photo was from a few min ago.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts