Reptile Forums banner

Aggeresive blue tongue skink

805 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Im a Ref 
#1 ·
Hello
I got a CB 2010 blue tongue from my mum the other day because shes not got the time for it jus now.The thing is its quite aggresive,not biting just alot of hissing and puffing,is this normal for a young one?
All the temps are fine,hes in a 3ft tank jus now with a 75 watt spot bulb.95f-100f at his basking area and high 70s to 80f at the cool end.Also got a 6% UVB strip light(is this high enough?)Also he seems quite thin,what foods could i use to bulk him up abit? He ate about 11 mealworms yesterday,im also offering him fruit and veg and thinking about some scrambbled eggs when i get home.Also am find it difficult to get his shed off his feet,i gave him a bath in warm water yesterday and it seemed to help,think an gonna do it again tonight.
Thank for any advice.
Cheers
Paul

#2 ·
Hey there. :)

I just had mine, a 5 month old youngling, for a couple of days now and it does the same thing, quite a bit of puffing but as soon as he settles on my lap he seems to be fine. As long as he's not opening his mouth and displaying his tongue as a threat or going for the bite, I'd think its fine. It just has to get used to you.

Do you happen to know what's his sub-specie? Some are known for being more aggressive.

And I'm by no means an expert, just saying what I've read/experienced so far.

As for the food, I've offered him high quality wet cat food mixed with veggies yesterday and am going to boil some shredded meat along with veggies and fruit for him next.

#4 ·
When i first got my blue tongue skink it done the same..hissing and puffing but afer about a week it calmed down..the hissing and puffing is just a bluff..the best way to calm it down is go to the viv,open the door and talk to it for about 3o mins,about 3 times a week..then introduce your hand in the viv and try stroking it..after about a week it will realise your not a threat...also,when you feed it try spoon feeding it for a few days,it will then trust you as it will know you will be bringing food..they are intellegent animals..mine always comes to the viv when he is hungary..mine is 12 months old.
regarding foods,try grapes,mine goes mad for them..also i feed mine baby food,chicken,dog food,apple sauce(a spoon full once a week as a treat) he loves that..locusts as live food..also bananas..like i said try spoon feed for a few days so it gets your trust...and i also advise on getting a bigger viv,they grow fast and a 3ft viv is nowhere near big enough...hope that helps

#8 ·
blueys do hide..thet love to burrow and hide..i have 2 hides,one moist one with wet kitchen towel and one in which he sleeps..the more it gets used to you the more it will interact and not hide so much..but he is in and out of his hide all day,its normal..you will find out that he will reconize the sound of your voice or the viv doors opening..its just a matter of time and having patience

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.