Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2 year old male corn snake that has suddenly become quite aggressive. He has always been a bit dodgy since he got hurt at my old school but he seems to have got worse recently. I have checked his setup and everything is fine. The only thing I can think of is that he is still hungry after I have fed him. At the moment he gets one medium mouse about every 9 days and I am thinking of putting him on larger mice but I still have quite a few medium mice left. So I just wondered if two medium mice is too much for him

Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
When feeding, he should have a small bump and every 9 days sounds about right although you could try varying it a little.

It is a possibility it is because of breeding season. One of my male corn snakes always gets the right hump during breeding season and have taken a nip or 2 off him. But it is worth double checkimg all your husbandry, have you got any other pets that could be stressing him?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When feeding, he should have a small bump and every 9 days sounds about right although you could try varying it a little.

It is a possibility it is because of breeding season. One of my male corn snakes always gets the right hump during breeding season and have taken a nip or 2 off him. But it is worth double checkimg all your husbandry, have you got any other pets that could be stressing him?
I was looking after a chinchilla for a week and his cage was put opposite the snakes viv. Could this stress him out? I have checked temps and humidity and they are all fine

What do you mean by "I have checked his setup and everything is fine." ?
I mean that I have checked temps and humidity

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I was looking after a chinchilla for a week and his cage was put opposite the snakes viv. Could this stress him out?
Unlikely, unless you were letting them play together.

I have checked temps and humidity and they are all fine
Ok but what are they?

Not meaning to be insulting but we don't know that you know what the temps should be and we don't know what temps you're keeping them at or what temps they prefer.

It's easier to give advice if you give all the basic information first.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unlikely, unless you were letting them play together.

Ok but what are they?

Not meaning to be insulting but we don't know that you know what the temps should be and we don't know what temps you're keeping them at or what temps they prefer.

It's easier to give advice if you give all the basic information first.
Temps are 30c in hot end

·
Registered
745 Posts
30C in the warm end is fine for corns- just make sure that you're measuring the temperature accurately though (The ones stuck to walls provide ambient temperature, the hot spot could be considerably higher- and the strips you stick to glass should be thrown away as the real temps will be far higher!)

Ideally the cool end will drop to 24C or below so he can thermoregulate.

It could be that your corn snake is coming into breeding mode at this time of year, but if you aren't feeding adequately it won't help. However at 2 years old one med mouse every 9 days should be fine- whatever you feed should leave a noticeable bump, and be between 1-1.5 times the thickness of the thickest point of the snake. If the med mice don't seem to leave a lump then it might be worth offering two at a time.

Other than that, just be patient with him and don't give up. Make things as stress free as possible when taking him out, e.g. leave 48 hours after feeding (a bit longer than the recommended minimum) and make sure there's nothing nearby he can entwine himself in as that would only make things worse for you both- then scoop him out as quickly and gently as you can. If it helps you can wear some thin gardening gloves so if he does bite then you won't feel it, but hopefully it won't come to that!

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Some corns can become a bit bitey , 30 could be a bit on the high side for corns, try dropping it to 27-28 and feed him two if he will take two then move onto larger. I find corns won't over eat at one sitting , some do get overweight but that's down to feeding too often not too large a meal .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts