Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
come home today and went ot clean my royal viv and striaght away it come out of its hide and struck at me and it seems strange becasue i feed it on thursday so it shouldn;t be hungry??? but i think my brothers been messing around in my room so could the noise stressed it out and when i come along and thought i was the problem????

has any one got a idea of whic it could be

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Do you handle your royal and go in the viv at any time other than to feed it? If not it may well have thought food was on the way!

If your brother has been messing around in the room though he has probably distressed the snake. Royals are shy animals by nature and are easily stressed - it sounds like this is the likeliest reason your snake struck at you

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haven't gone into the viv recently only to feed it and i will be having words when i see my bother going to keep my room off limites and try tomurrow and see what happens

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
But dont handle too much as it might have the opposite effect and it'll stop feeding :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Does sound like a stress thing, but may have been a feeding response - there may have been something about the way your hand looked/moved that set it off. They see with their heat pits as well as their eyes so it might've just made a mistake. Mine has fed several times the day after a feed so it may have still been hungry enough to have a go.

Mines been acting funny today as well - cleaned him/her out at lunchtime and rather than just go and hide (like she normally does) she was out and about most of the afternoon.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If this is a reccuring problem, every time you go in to his viv to handle him, put a gloved hand/ something over his head for about 5 seconds, this will calm him down and eventually he'l realise your not his food!! I go this with my boa and it seems to work!! :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Good idea that - it's what I do with mine if they're looking like they might strike. I just put the flat of my palm a couple of inches front of them and they back down. Just colubrids though.

But definitely best to do it with a glove for a royal, or any snake with heat pits, so that you body heat is disguised.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
mark67123 said:
Good idea that - it's what I do with mine if they're looking like they might strike. I just put the flat of my palm a couple of inches front of them and they back down. Just colubrids though.

But definitely best to do it with a glove for a royal, or any snake with heat pits, so that you body heat is disguised.
Hmmm....My Radiated Rat is very special...She never stops biting once she gets going, but thats why I love her, cute little thing she is! :lol:

My little royal was snappy when I first got her, i just let her get it out of her system and she is fine as a....flower....now :lol:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Lol, I used to have a few American Rats, and they were bonkers, bit everything in site over and over, I got used to it in the end and it never used to bother me, they got used to it as well and calmed down, but I still got bitten alot by them. For some reason I tend to lean towards unpredictable snakes! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
257 Posts
it could just be having a bad day, just like us they have their grumpy days. i wouldn't worry about it unless it happens all the time. and the noise from you brothers could have stressed it and made it pissed off.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
mine bit me today too :( She's new and I fed her for the 1st time then went to put her hide back in and she got me. Think I'll be using the glove approach with her for a bit untill she gets used to me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts