Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a pair of 100% het albinos on saturday night. and was assured they were sound in temprement before buying. snakes arrived by tarantula barn quite stressed, but the male seems to be really quite a nasty pasty. which is something i have not seen in royals. i have known nippy royals but this is a damien snake. he strikes at his rub walls and lid constantly at the slightest movement even when checking a neighbouring snake or walking past his rub sends him into a frenzy. I am aware he will be on edge after his little adventure and needs to settle but im worried what to do may continue to display this behaviour. as my other 7 are dog tame and as i want him for breeding, im not going to give him up just cos hes a bit moody!

as far as i can make out he is between 400g and 500g is currently in a 9ltr rub he has clean newspaper for substrate, fresh water, and a good hide (which he refuses to get in and actually likes to coil on top f in a strike pose) and i currently have a clean teatowel over the lid to make him feel a bit more at ease. his tempreture is spot on. same as the others his size and they have no problems.

obviously he will need longer than a couple of days to fully settle.

but i think this is quite extreme behaviour from a royal and in the others i have had i have never witnessed such defensive behaviour from .

any suggestions in ways to calm him down? other than giving him more space? he hasnt been handled yet and i want to know whats the most stress free way to deal with him when the time comes.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
time... jst time, cover sides, and top, so its only the front open, and leave him alone, be quiet around him, and again.. time.

some coil up tight, some just get nippy, some dont feed etc, its just his way of acting up, dont go near him for a week or 2.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yh well he is in *quarentine* in a loose sense so he wont really be handled or anything for a fortnight anyway. just water changes and spot cleans. same as the female.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
He's just frightened and out of his comfort zone , I've got a lttle lemonblast thats doing the same thing at the moment. The frantic striking is slowly going away to just the odd lash out and had her a month now.:2thumb:

·
Registered
455 Posts
just leave him for a couple of weeks. then get a feed in him then leave another week. then start to handel him.buy then time to settle in. then you no what your dealing with.: victory:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers guys - all in al beautiful snake though :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Also when the time comes to handle him don't hesitate just scoop him up and put him in your hand , If you hover over him that'll put him straight into defensive mode. My girl hasn't caught me yet and she settles down immediately, Thats her in my sig picture on my hand.:2thumb:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, i have a corn who is viv defensive but she is fine once she is out,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts