Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got out of the bath, walked into the kitchen to find my dog and kitchen floor half covered in blood, after the initial panic and a good check over I saw what the problem was, he's snapped his nail on his front leg half off. It doesn't seem to the bleeding as much any more however the nail itself is covered in freshish blood. I've been in the bath about 2 hours so it would of happened within this time as he was fine before. He's obviously in pain as he's limping and not letting me go anywhere near it. I'm going to get on the phone to the vets but is there anything I can do until I can see one?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Is it the quick in the nail thats bleeding or around the nail, as im sure the quick doesnt stop bleeding, your vet will have a powder that will stop the bleed. thats all i can advise : victory:

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
To stop the bleeding you can put some cornflour on it. Nails always bleed lots, what has the vet said?
What I find most amazing is you got to spend 2 hours in the bath, Im lucky if I get 10 minutes:lol2:

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Yep styptic powder or cornflour will do the trick. I wouldn't think it needed a vet unless you had neither and wanted it bandaging (my old lurcher's nails were trimmed too short during her spay and she bled everywhere, came home with bandages on two feet).

Blu's nail caught at the vets last time he had them trimmed, he bled all over the floor and all they did was styptic powder and watched him for 15 mins before they let him come home.

So I think if you can stop the bleeding, he should be ok.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, thanks for the advice :), spoke to the vet, and have been booked in for the morning as where the bleeding has stopped he should be okay but as I worry too much he's going in to have it checked and is also having a full MOT along with the other dog haha, been told to keep it clean for now. God knows how he's done it, the nail seems to of snapped halfway down and at the moment he's in his bed looking very sorry for himself but is doing a good job at keeping it clean.

I have some cornflour in the cupboard so if it starts bleeding lightly shall dab some on it, thats if he lets me near it (he's a very nervous little lad and hates being mucked about with)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts