Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just discovered that the mites are back on my BCI and not only that my BRB has them to!!
I was clear for 3 weeks after using defender mites to get rid of them the last time.
Cant really understand how they came back again??
Just ordered more hypoaspis mites.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
you need to friontline (snakes and vivs) AFTER the good guys have finshed doing their work.

Remember it takes ONE female mite to re infest.

The ONLY effective way to deal with mits is to continue treatment long after you stop seeing mites. Don't forget a snake is infested with mites for days/weeks before you can actually see any or many. By the time you can see them it's bad.

Once you're "clear" again continue with a frontline/cleaning/soaking regimine for a month.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
you need to friontline (snakes and vivs) AFTER the good guys have finshed doing their work.

Remember it takes ONE female mite to re infest.

The ONLY effective way to deal with mits is to continue treatment long after you stop seeing mites. Don't forget a snake is infested with mites for days/weeks before you can actually see any or many. By the time you can see them it's bad.

Once you're "clear" again continue with a frontline/cleaning/soaking regimine for a month.
You don't ever need to use frontline.

Defender mites only eat larva and adult mites, then die off without food, however the mite eggs then hatch around 1-2 weeks later. What I find works is two treatments of Defender mites approx 1-2 weeks apart.

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
doesnt sound like the mites ever left, there must have been a few eggs that got through the net.

as much as i dislike using strong chemicals, frontline does have an excellent reputation and seems to do the trick for most people.

good luck treating it all. hope you get it all clear.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
You don't ever need to use frontline.

Defender mites only eat larva and adult mites, then die off without food, however the mite eggs then hatch around 1-2 weeks later. What I find works is two treatments of Defender mites approx 1-2 weeks apart.

Well no of course not, there are alternatives but as frontline is what we use, and what we've found works best it's the only thing i'm going to advise people to use.

I'm not going to go around recommending things i've never tried and frontline is (that we've found so far) by far and away the best solution so it's therefore what I recommend.

Now i'm sure you wouldn't expect me to list every anti-mite produce on the market, so i'll just stick to recommending what I know.

Frontline works and works well.

Provent a mite (as mentioned by another poster) is a terrarium/substrate treatment and is not for use on the snake itself. Frontline does both, negate the nbeed to buy multiple products. We use frontline and water. Thats it. job done. By the time this chap has finshed he'll have spend hundreds removing mites from an average/small collection. It cost us £40 (2 bottles of frontline) to remove our last mite problem and thats over 100 snakes treated. in fact we've just used the remainder of that frontline to give the CF royals a once over and theres still some left.

By the time this guy has finished pissing about trying various cures he'll have spent £40 on defender mites (IIRC they were 15-20 a pop last time we tried them) a further £20 on provent a mite or whatever and then go knows what else!

Pop to the vets, £20 on frontline and he's probably sorted for this infestation and the next three too!

Peple struggle with the idea of mites being present BEFORE you can see them. Keep up with whatever your cvhosen treatment of choice every 3-5 days for a month AFTER you've seen your last mite and be very thorough when scrubbing vivs etc.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate your comments guys but ive already ordered the hypo mites so im going to give them another go, if they come back again after that then ill def use frontline, just hope it doesnt have to come to that!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
does it have to be frontline ? could u use maybe spot on ? just curious ?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I've never tried spot on, but as you only get a few ml i've never really seen the point.

the frontline spray bottles are what we use, we keep some at 100% strength then make up two other spray bittles of 50% and 25% frontline (diluted with water). The strength of the dose is determined by the weight of the snake.

As i've said, frontinel works for us, so we're not going to mess about trying other solutions if/when we next have mites. I use the method I already know works, works well and quickly.

·
Registered
373 Posts
ok thanks mason , i was just wondering as ive always got something lying about cuz of the cats an dogs

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
bleach and de-mite

when i had a mite problem in the past i jus soaked everything and everything in bleach for a hour, scrubbed it and rinsed it.

whilst they were soaking i give the snakes a bath in a diluted mite solution or depending on the severity of the infestation, use a piece or cloth to rub frontline over the snake avoiding the eyes etc.

then in a weeks time i spray the tubswith a light misting of a weak, shelf bought mites-away spray, and (touch wood) i havnt had anything since,

IMHO its better to make sure frst time around and minimise stress than to keep treating and only hitting half of the problem

good luck with it mate, mites are a stressful situation, to snake and humans

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
frontline all the way!!!!!!!!!
made the mistake in the past of using every know product to man and beast! what a waste of time and money, not to mention the added stress to my snakes.
eventually took the so called risk with frontline, JOB DONE!!!!!: victory:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts