Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG! my girlfriend just called me while I was on here... and I went to her and the Snakes heat mat was sparking all over the place! :shock: and all this smoke was coming out of it! :shock: I’m so pissed! We have only had the heat mat for just over a year! Do they only last a year or something??

It's an EXO TERRA heat mat! I can’t believe it... the snake could have been cooked alive... if we didn’t unplug it. It would have caught fire! I unplugged it and cut off the main bit that attaches to the mat... it has a burn hole on the edge where sparks must have done it. :shock:

Has anyone had this happen to them? :(

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
:shock: christ thats not good! must of been overheating, might be an idea taking it back to the shop or contacting exo terra about that as could of burnt your house down!

·
Registered
18 Posts
eeeep thats not good!
I heard that heat mats were supposed to last as long as your reptile!!!
Definately sounds like a product defect unless you were doing something you shouldnt have been.... tell the place u bought it from / exoterra like ianyork says!!

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
never heard that one before...

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
was the mat inside the viv ? if so your snake could have pooed on it or even crawled through its water and over the mat, they are not waterproof and this could cause a short.
it is best to never have mats in direct contact with snakes.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
just out of interest

did you have the matt conected to a heat contolling themostatic device at the time?

thanks

Nerys

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
lol I see what trice means now :oops:
*needs a new brain*

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
can i just say

a thermostat

is DIFFERENT

to a thermometer....

a thermometer measures the temp.. a thermostat CONTROLS the temps..

technically, even with a faulty mat, if its connected to a thermostat it should turn off when it gets too hot..

(this being the basic idea behind a heat contol device.. too hot, turns off.. too cool, turns on...)

a thermostat should not be used as a thermometer either, you should always check the temp of the mat with an independent thermometer, once the thermostat has been set to the right level.

A thermometer is a device which measures temperature or temperature gradient, using a variety of different principles. The word thermometer is derived from two smaller word fragments: thermo from the Latin (or Greek) for heat and meter from Latin, meaning to measure.
A thermostat is a device for regulating the temperature of a system so that the system's temperature is maintained near a desired setpoint temperature. The thermostat does this by controlling the flow of heat energy into or out of the system. That is, the thermostat switches heating or cooling devices on or off as needed to maintain the correct temperature.

Thermostats can be constructed in many ways and may use a variety of sensors to measure the temperature. The output of the sensor then controls the heating or cooling apparatus.
all reptile heat sources should be connected to the mains via a thermostat, and then the heat level checked by a thermometer. you need both to have a proper set up!!

(yeah i know, most of you know this, but there is always someone new to reptiles who may not... if i stopped one reptile from burning, it would be worth repeating it a million times..)

anyone want to see some pics of burnt reptiles?

Nerys

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
they are pretty minging, but might not be bad for people to see.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the mat wasn’t on a thermostat (wasn’t told to put it on one by anyone) And the mat was Under the cage stuck to the bottom of the glass and has no contacted with water or anything inside the cage.

It's one that came with a thing you peel off and the whole surface is sticky and you stick it under your cage.

I wont be getting one of there pads anymore!...
:evil:
We emailed the company and are waiting for an answer.

If the heat pads REALLY needed a thermostat then they should make it bloody clear! It's not like you buy a light bulb and when it dies it makes sparks and fire all over the place! :shock:

And it to last the same amount as time as the reptile... yeah right what bull is that! :evil:

Thanks for your replies! I will keep you guys updated on any reply from them.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
well ive never heard of that before i would definatly push for all you can get of em :shock:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I’m in Canada at the moment (Quebec) and the plugs don’t have fuses on them or any protection from over heating. Also I think the products may be different here?

But it doesn’t explain why it sparked and nearly caught fire.

My girlfriend went on a Quebec reptile forum and told posted about this, straight away three people said they had the same thing happen with Exo Terra Heat pads!

All I know is I aint trusting Exo Terra with any electronics! It’s like buying Reebok trainers... more for the looks and name then the quality.... Blah! lol I’m anti Exo Terra now... Nearly killed our snake and burnt down the house... what if we were away??? Could of lost the house… our iguana… the cats :(

They charge 4 quid for a little log that you can choose your self from the woods, debark it then sterilize it using boiling water or putting it in the oven on low. Done it myself for our iguana.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts