Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 litre RUB that will be for a royal, and of course it will need air holes, i presume i would go about this by using a small hot rod of some sort ( a soldering iron etc) how many would i need and where should i put them?

·
Registered
182 Posts
heat up a kebab squier on the hob and put a hole ever 1-2 inch around the lid or smt

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
I use a drill personally.

What snake is it for?

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use a drill personally.

What snake is it for?
As already said in first post, a royal.
drill or solder iron and you want holes in the lid on warm end and side on the cool end to allow proper ventelation
luke
So on teh warm end holes in the lid and in the cool end in the sides, which sides, all sides i.e. back left and rigth and just on the cold end side and then on the warm end on the lid? how far apart.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Oops, so it does, soz :)

There is no rule to it :) You just need to get a decent airflow while still holding the required heat and humidity :)

Personally I vent all my RUBs with holes near the top in the 'hot end' and holes near the bottom in the cool end :)

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I used a soldering iron for my RUBs, I put like a triangle of holes in each corner of the lid and some in the centre to make sure there is a lot of air flow i also put 1 or 2 holes either end of the tub near the handles and a couple in the sides along the longest part of the tub if that makes sense.. its worked ok for me so far!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
the best drill bit to use it a wood bit with the spike on the end as it wont slide all over the place when drilling

·
Registered
579 Posts
i use a drill but if your cack handed (as i've been on a couple of occasssions, too much pressure can split the plastic so soldering iron better if you have one).

personnally i have ventilation in small amounts on all sides (about 8 holes evenly spaced - i put them at the top on the warm side, this allows better air flow as warm air rises, and about 3 inches above the bottom on the cooler side so no drafts) and about five rows of five on the on the lid too (depends on size of rub obviously - no idea how big a 9l rub is as i go on visual size so i know that what have are big enough for my snakes but can't say i've actually looked at how big they are in litres).

i generally find this is plenty enough with 5 or 6mm holes for royals but if there is a sign of condensation once set up i'll add more before putting a snake in there

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I do what crownan says, but be aware that there is a 1 mm space all round the lid so the boxes are definately not airtight. A few holes in the sides is probably enough to set up an airflow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts